Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 1975

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a chicken Steve. If I would have fought the dragon I would have been a roasted chicken.

On Memorial Day 1975 we were racing at Baytown, Texas. The five minute gun sounded for D hydro. At three minutes we went to fire it off, but it was a complete dud. Jack Chance started to troubleshoot and the red hot wire from the coil to the battery fell off. The pit crew got into action and got the tool and a terminal, stripped the wire and just finished tightening the nut when the one minute gun fired. I stayed in the boat. Soon at the boats crossed the starting line I stuck my index finger in the air and made circles while looking at the referee. He gave me the OK so my Dad cranked the engine and I took off toward the safety bouy, hung a left and headed for the first turn. When I came out of the turn I saw the pack only just now getting to the bottom turn. Little did I know that they bump bump bumped past some heavy rollers. It was a short course so we ran an accelerating wheel. Man that D hit 95 in nothing flat. It took me five or six years to even remember that part, and that's all I have been able to remember until I was cold, in extreme dark and felt like I was the only person alive in the world. Very lonely. Then warmth and sunshine. Denny Henderson and everyone on the bank saw what was going to happen and he hollered NOOOOO! Denny said I was flying along then me and the boat just disappeared. No splash or anything. Just like I was beamed to someplace else in midflight. So that was the end of most of our racing season with me in the cockpit. I did get in the last race of the year at my Dad's house, but that's for later. The boat "Texas Tornado" only had some testing and four heats on it. It was a new design by Tim. Tim took it back and replaced the stringers, some of which were crooked, and we sold Texas Tornado to Jim McKean.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If I were at that boat show Wayne, I would of backed you up. Back in them days I liked a bar room dancing ✌️

Post Thanks / Like

Steve- You still could do some bar room dancing. I would bet I couldn't get one Tennessee Tea down and it would be over. Hope all is well amigo. And Wayne love the stories can't wait for more

Post Thanks / Like

I can't dance guys....or I should say ya'll.

In the May issue Region 7 News Ann Strang reported a number of people showed up to the Johnson Factory for an inspector and referee seminar including Mr. and Mrs. Corky Callahan. Mrs. Callahan's name is Sue and was the subject of the cover of the January 1975 issue of Propeller. In Region 8 Judy Smith reported that my Dad had secured UIM World Championship races for classes A, B and C hydro to be held in Missouri later that year. I'm not sure what happened in that communication, but my Dad did get the UIM OA, OD and OF Championships for 1976 to be held in Phoenix, Arizona at Firebird Lake. The championships are awarded a year in advance, and it may be that my Dad and the Smiths had talked about a central location for them previously. Bob and Judy Smith did an excellent job of putting together the Eastern Divisionals at Winona in 1974, and this year would be the first year away from DePue because of the shallow water in 1974. So Judy's predictions were probably premature, because I know my Dad would have preferred something closer to the center of boat racing in America. Firebird Lake though was a course that would not be blown out.

In the June issue Ann Strang mentioned that UIM accepted all APBA classes to be accepted for World Championship status. This was a result of my Dad's application for the successful 1973 UIM races at Alexandria, Louisiana. It has been mentioned previously, and Ann repeated it here.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't dance guys....or I should say ya'll.

In the May issue Region 7 News Ann Strang reported a number of people showed up to the Johnson Factory for an inspector and referee seminar including Mr. and Mrs. Corky Callahan. Mrs. Callahan's name is Sue and was the subject of the cover of the January 1975 issue of Propeller. In Region 8 Judy Smith reported that my Dad had secured UIM World Championship races for classes A, B and C hydro to be held in Missouri later that year. I'm not sure what happened in that communication, but my Dad did get the UIM OA, OD and OF Championships for 1976 to be held in Phoenix, Arizona at Firebird Lake. The championships are awarded a year in advance, and it may be that my Dad and the Smiths had talked about a central location for them previously. Bob and Judy Smith did an excellent job of putting together the Eastern Divisionals at Winona in 1974, and this year would be the first year away from DePue because of the shallow water in 1974. So Judy's predictions were probably premature, because I know my Dad would have preferred something closer to the center of boat racing in America. Firebird Lake though was a course that would not be blown out.

In the June issue Ann Strang mentioned that UIM accepted all APBA classes to be accepted for World Championship status. This was a result of my Dad's application for the successful 1973 UIM races at Alexandria, Louisiana. It has been mentioned previously, and Ann repeated it here.

Post Thanks / Like

Default July 1975

Here is the July 1975 issue pages 1 - 8.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Post Thanks / Like

Default July 1075

Pages 9 - 16.

Post Thanks / Like

Default July 1975

Add finally pages 17-20
    Thanks zul8tr thanked for this post
    Likes zul8tr liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the process of moving to FL. and going through all my propeller magazine{I have a lot} I found a extra January 1975 if you would like it. Let me know what other ones you are missing.
    [Flyer] Leigh

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FurnalFlyer View Post
    I'm in the process of moving to FL. and going through all my propeller magazine{I have a lot} I found a extra January 1975 if you would like it. Let me know what other ones you are missing.
    [Flyer] Leigh
    So, you sold the NY house & becoming a permanent Floridian?

Thread Information