Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desilva Delta from mid-1980's How many are left?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Desilva Delta from mid-1980's How many are left?

Wondering how many Desilva Delta runabouts are still out there. I know of three... (now four!)

C-5 is in Gainesville, GA and is shown in the pictures below.

This one is in Indiana and was the subject of this old BRF thread:
    http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...lva-delta-wing

One more is in Georgia and I'll edit this thread to add pictures of it here.

A fourth boat is in Prop Riders Racing's shop as mentioned in a posting below.

It may be worth a trip to Hiram, GA to chat with Ralph and see if the production numbers and original owners can be listed. I'm curious what speeds could be expected from C-5 if it's powered with a 44XS engine..?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Likes Al Lang liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom, that boat had several different Konigs on it from 500 cc to 750. Those boats where made for Pro racing. I had a lay down version. Don't know where it went now. Brinkmanship had one that used a Yamaha 500, and Kugler had several stored in his warehouse in Illinois. I think he even tried one with a A and B motor( 250 and 350). They were outlawed very soon but I think maybe a half dozen or so where made. Yellow boat in picture was Tom Goldstones that Bill Rucker drove. I tested one with a 45 sis motor with DeSilvas at second effort before the motor was released to public.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i saw one for sale at the AOMCI meet in Constantine Michigan some years ago. I'm thinking it was 2012 or 2013. It looked very much like C5 in that it was in natural wood, but it was pretty rough at that time. It was a lot rougher than C5 in the pictures above, so I don't believe that was the same boat unless those photos are older. It was most certainly not the white painted one in the other thread. The decking was pretty bleached out and it was in need of a total restoration, but it was pretty much all there.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one that has never been in the water. It was the second one the DeSilva's built for me. I ran a 500cc Yamaha on the first one and it would not stay on the water once you reached 100mph+.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PROP RIDERS RACING View Post
    I have one that has never been in the water. It was the second one the DeSilva's built for me. I ran a 500cc Yamaha on the first one and it would not stay on the water once you reached 100mph+.
    Prop Riders, could you post a few pictures of your boat, and also could you post the I.D. stamp off the keel inside the boat for us?
    Any pictures or video and could you tell us how the boat handled with the Yamaha 500 engine?
    Thanks
    Thanks 1100r thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

There is,another if I'm not mistaken in Georgia. The number on the boat was 26-Z. I think anyway as its on the DeSilva Race boat site in FB. The guy was going to restore it. And love seeing Goldstone old C-5. Tom let his,wife Barbara run 1100r with that boat one year at Shadow Cliffs
    Thanks ClayT thanked for this post
    Likes ClayT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

DeSilva tunnel, states bought it from Harry Brinkman, looks questionable ?

https://northernwi.craigslist.org/bo...192515997.html
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    DeSilva tunnel, states bought it from Harry Brinkman, looks questionable ?

https://northernwi.craigslist.org/bo...192515997.html
    What is questionable Pete? That boat was the triplane they made. A little history here. At the time, runabouts had pretty loose rules. DeSilvas made a runabout with the same type delta tunnel on the right side only to help turn the boat better. Motors were also stepping up in the HP area. As Todd said his Yamaha would go 100 plus. The boats at the time could not deal with the speed and no down force of the current design. Also at this time, before the Delta runabout, the 45 SS was introduced by OMC. I tested with DeSilvas the 45 SS on the half side Delta boat at Second Efforrt in Florida with Ziggy and Dave Hammond the two spearheading the 45 SS project. Just after that day Fred Miller decided that we needed a tunnel type boat for this motor. DeSilvas made the first tri plane and Ralph Donald and I tested it for them in Florida with my C (500) KONIG on it. It would roll over a hundred easy. Back at my House when I was living in Florida, Ralph and I were enjoying some of Lynchburg Tennessees finest and I brought up the fact that according to the rule at the time, the Delta boat, aka Tri Plane was a runabout. With that I said Moorhaven Kilos were in a few weeks and I should bump the C (500) runabout record a bit. That was the plan, until Ralph told Ralph DeSilva our plans. DeSilvas asked we not do that as they had a better idea, enter the Delta runabout and as they say, the rest is history. Todd ran his with Yamaha at Nationals in DePue in 87 and if he had not 1. Killed a turn bouy in one heat and the mess of the drivers did not jump the gun in last heat, he would of won the nationals with the Delta boat. Steve
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill, Al Lang liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Steve thanks for the history I had no idea about this tri boat that's why "questionable". Pete
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Litzell View Post
    What is questionable Pete? That boat was the triplane they made. A little history here. At the time, runabouts had pretty loose rules. DeSilvas made a runabout with the same type delta tunnel on the right side only to help turn the boat better. Motors were also stepping up in the HP area. As Todd said his Yamaha would go 100 plus. The boats at the time could not deal with the speed and no down force of the current design. Also at this time, before the Delta runabout, the 45 SS was introduced by OMC. I tested with DeSilvas the 45 SS on the half side Delta boat at Second Efforrt in Florida with Ziggy and Dave Hammond the two spearheading the 45 SS project. Just after that day Fred Miller decided that we needed a tunnel type boat for this motor. DeSilvas made the first tri plane and Ralph Donald and I tested it for them in Florida with my C (500) KONIG on it. It would roll over a hundred easy. Back at my House when I was living in Florida, Ralph and I were enjoying some of Lynchburg Tennessees finest and I brought up the fact that according to the rule at the time, the Delta boat, aka Tri Plane was a runabout. With that I said Moorhaven Kilos were in a few weeks and I should bump the C (500) runabout record a bit. That was the plan, until Ralph told Ralph DeSilva our plans. DeSilvas asked we not do that as they had a better idea, enter the Delta runabout and as they say, the rest is history. Todd ran his with Yamaha at Nationals in DePue in 87 and if he had not 1. Killed a turn bouy in one heat and the mess of the drivers did not jump the gun in last heat, he would of won the nationals with the Delta boat. Steve
    Steve,

I actually believe that the boat in Rhinelander might be the 45 boat you tested, Jon Stone raced & even Pete Hellsten did.

Thread Information