Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deck Rider

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deck Rider

I often wondered where the term " deck rider " in F runabout got its name and while looking through some old editions of Speed and Spray online I found my answer. My question is did he ride like this the entire race or just to get on plane ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Great picture Dale. I rode in many of those older boats. They called them side by side. The rider got on the deck to plane out, then went to the deck through the turn. After the turn back to beside or little behind the driver. I rode for Dick Schoenfield (sp) several times from L.A. His boat also had a handle at the back of the deck to put your foot in to hold you from sliding. And you never let him wax the boat lol. They also called the riders riding mechanics, they would adjust the motor if needed. Now they should call the riders crazy!!! Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is a bit before your time , 1953 I believe , but any idea who this may be Todd ???

Post Thanks / Like

Way before my time Dale 30 years before lol. If I had to guess the number C-86 Buzz Miller comes to mind. If I get a chance I will look after work as I hauled his boat to races for a number of years and he raced the 460 motors for a long time, as well as FER.

Post Thanks / Like

Dale- I looked at my pictures. The boat are different and Buzz didn't have all the numbers on when I took the picture years ago. His boat was white with red stripes but the hull design is different. I also thought of the late Bill Boyes but no idea sorry. Maybe Ron Hill might know.

Post Thanks / Like

Default These F Runabouts are in Honolulu, Hawaii CIRCA 1949

Quote Originally Posted by racingfan1 View Post
    I often wondered where the term " deck rider " in F runabout got its name and while looking through some old editions of Speed and Spray online I found my answer. My question is did he ride like this the entire race or just to get on plane ?
    These DeSilva boats were the old "ROUND SIDES", but this was "F" Runabout racing in Hawaii!

Square sided DeSilva's didn't come out til about 1955.

Fred Hauenstein on Deck, Jay Root driving.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 08-20-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Brother-in-Law, Bud Dillinger Rode Deck, Once

My sister's husband wanted to ride deck, and he did, once. He got up on the deck, and once the got going he would not get back in the cockpit. The driver pulled his pants down, but he stayed on the deck the whole heat.

C-286 is George Peak with my brother in law on deck... He ain't liking it.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 08-20-2017 at 08:11 PM.

oldalkydriver

C-86 was Fred Hauenstien Sr.'s boat number. I'm not totally positive, but Sr. quit driving in late '53 or early '54. Unfortunetly the color of the boat doesn't ring a bell. George Peak also ran 'F' hydro. Infact, he gained lots of fame when he built his new 'F' hydro with anchor nails & glue. He was testing at Long Beach and came flying down the front straightaway. He continued on clear down and under the bridge on the South end of the corse. After an hour or so, everyone on the beach started laughing, for on the back straightaway was a patrol boat pulling the first ever surfboard with a steering column! Yep, everything was gone except the bottom, steering column and George! Blue and while were the colors of Curley Owens. He built & drove his own boats. Buzz Miller if I remember correctly was yellow & black. Ahhh!, getting old is a terrible thing. Can't remember didly squat!
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update on the boat. Buzz Miller's hydro was natural wood at least the one I seen. His runabout was white just like the one in the picture prior to his last new DeSilva which was orange and natural wood. Not sure of his boat colors prior to that though lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buzz Mill, Relation to Benny Miller?

At Sparks, 1966, Benny Miller spun his DeSilva Runabout in front of me, a red and white boat, and Sparks being Sparks, I had no where to go but over the top of him. Didn't hurt him too much, fin cut. Buzz Miller worked with investors at Drake Indy engines in 1978-79...Same Buzz?

George Peak's F Hydro, his single step that my dad bought off George, was chartreuse and pink. I think his F Runabout was that color, also, but it came out orangish in Boat Sport.

Curley Owens' F Runabout was gray and blue.......Blue and white Hauenstein Runabout was owned by "FAT", a friend of Ed Kurakowa.

I think that is what I remember.

Thread Information