Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deck Rider

oldalkydriver

Ron, not disagreeing with you, but John Toprahanian bought Curley's boat from hin at long Beach. Curley was racing his newly completed 'F'. I remember, because my sister Peggy and I painted John T's number (C-174) on Curley's old boat for the next race. John left it the same color for years. It was blue with white trim. Then after dumping it a few times in the corners, and John having a heart attack, my father started driving it. It was a bear to turn. Just before Green Lake in Seattle 1959, John and dad added a extended non-trip to the right chine. John had also put tunned exhaust on the 460. Repainted the boat mostly black with a big white curved strip going fromstearn to deck to mid-front. Seattle was a bust for me as John had me turn off my fuel after testing. Glen Campbell dumped the 'F' on the front straightaway. While they were towing the boat to the pits, John went to the ambulance to make sure Glen was okay. Then the 5 minute gun for 'A' hydros. Stupid me, I cranked & cranked & cranked. Too late, the one minute gun. Second heat, fuel valve on, I make it to the milling area and my throttle stuck wide open (53mph) and I took an unexpected bath.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Curley Owens F Runabout

Did Curley have a second F Runabout? Do you know where Bob Marvick got his F Runabout?

The blue and white runabout I was thinking about was Joe Macahdo's, and his crew chief was named "Fat"....no very politically correct today.

oldalkydriver

Default Firast Turn Long Beach (single can)

Ron, the first picture is the 'F' runabouts the race right after John T. purchased Curely's boat. I seem to remember these two boats were the first attempt at this design. With the second (C-210) was supposed to be the better of the two. C-174 is John Toprahanian driving, Bob Jackson Jr. riding.Attachment 62802Name:  John & Curly.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  208.2 KB
    Last edited by oldalkydriver; 08-26-2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: attachment

oldalkydriver

Default Start Long Beach

This picture is the start of 'F's' at Long Beach where John bought Curley's first attempt at this desigh. You can clearly see Curley (C-210) closest to you. C-54 Walt Gillo, C-208, having a senior moment here. Forgot, but know. C-174 John & dad in their first home built boat. Right next to it, you can see the front of Curley's other boat. That is the one John purchased right after the second heat.Attachment 62803Name:  Long Beach, John & dad.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  103.2 KB
    Last edited by oldalkydriver; 08-26-2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Spelling & attachment

oldalkydriver

Default Walt Gillo's 'F'

Now to answer a question about Marvick's boat. Not really sure if I have the boat maker correct. However C-54, Walt's 'F', was built by the same person that made Chuck Parson's boat of this type. I seem to remember the name 'Phantom', just not really sure. After Parson's first appearance in this style boat, Walt Gillo, Bob Marvick, Al Brooks Jr., and 2 more I can't remember appeared on the scene.Attachment 62804Name:  Dad & Walt Gillo.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  175.7 KB
    Last edited by oldalkydriver; 08-26-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: attachment

Post Thanks / Like

Great info. Wish attachments were available. I should stop by and,see Casey as he lives less than a mile from me.

oldalkydriver

Default '57 'F' National's winner

It was end of 1956 racing season and early '57 season that dad & John made a trip to Chuck Parson's house in Lodi. It was a fast trip as they were going to measure Chuck's boat so dad, John & grandpa could build one. If I remember correctly, when they finshed the boat, dad & Collie never lost a race that season, including the 'F' Nationals in San Diego Flood Control Channel.Attachment 62806Name:  C-174-Jonny-T.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  169.1 KB
    Last edited by oldalkydriver; 08-26-2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: attachment

oldalkydriver

Default 'F' National's San Diego

Here are two pictures of the 'F' Nationals that year. I don't remember which heat they were, but both pic's were second corner, first lap.Attachment 62807Name:  Start%20Heat%20I%201957.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  34.5 KB Second pic is Bob Cockburn C-172. Dad & John's second attempt at Parson's copy.Name:  Heat%20II%201957.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  30.7 KB
    Last edited by oldalkydriver; 08-26-2017 at 05:31 PM. Reason: adding attachment

oldalkydriver

One last note as I just had a senior moment replay! C-208 (Simms, maybe Doc). Second on to the original post. The term; riding mechanic came from when this class was first ran. The boats had NO steering wheel! Seems to me that it was called a 'tiller'. The driver steered with his right hand while the left was on the throttle. The mechanic would reach back on the straighaway's and adjust the carb's. Usually guy's welded or attached washers or coins the the hi & lo speed jets. The coins developed a name for one racer. His boats were called two-bits & 4-bits! During the approach to a turn the machanic would have to go out on the deck to compensate for the driver being stuck back by the motor. The main reason for short cockpits in those days. After the additions of a steering wheel the mechanic now became the deck rider. And 'F' runabouts became the star of the racing outboards. That is the reason they were always run last on the agenda. A spectater pleasing event.

oldalkydriver

My thanks to all of you racers for making me remember the best days of my life!
    Thanks Ron Hill, ClayT thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill, ClayT liked this post

Thread Information