Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 56ci OMC realistic power

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default depends

Quote Originally Posted by sabine river killer View Post
    On a fishing style motor factory cowling trim reg foot ect no big bore just a hard build
    how much power can be made with a 56
    mill head to sst 60 specs, "big carbies" , sst 60 style tuner w/ dry exhaust, front half work w/good cages = tick over a hundred been done before....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MODIFIEDOUTBOARD View Post
    mill head to sst 60 specs, "big carbies" , sst 60 style tuner w/ dry exhaust, front half work w/good cages = tick over a hundred been done before....
    Thank you, this was my basic plan for my engine don't want anything crazy as I want to be fairly reliable as I use it fishing and hunting regularly. Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think 100 was really doable without some porting. I know somewhere in one of the threads I found specs of the sst 60 tuner and some pics of someone else's they made but can't find it now. Being that they are hard and expensive to come by I'd probably just mod/make mine to sst60 specs. Does anyone know the specs? length, width of opening, pics always help.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default you need 3 of these

Quote Originally Posted by ferdthe4 View Post
    Thank you, this was my basic plan for my engine don't want anything crazy as I want to be fairly reliable as I use it fishing and hunting regularly. Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think 100 was really doable without some porting. I know somewhere in one of the threads I found specs of the sst 60 tuner and some pics of someone else's they made but can't find it now. Being that they are hard and expensive to come by I'd probably just mod/make mine to sst60 specs. Does anyone know the specs? length, width of opening, pics always help.
    find 3 of these Name:  30ETEC REEDS.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  122.6 KB
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA5169-Evin...19.m1438.l2649

mill front half to get within .050" from rod caps.

get 1-1/2 x 1-1/4 venturi carbs, 1990 & up 50's have them.le tuner

add 2" in length to sst style tuner

match ports like mod 70 did ad chamfer top of exhuast port 30deg 1/16" is very mild

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MODIFIEDOUTBOARD View Post
    find 3 of these
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA5169-Evin...19.m1438.l2649

mill front half to get within .050" from rod caps.

get 1-1/2 x 1-1/4 venturi carbs, 1990 & up 50's have them.le tuner

add 2" in length to sst style tuner
    Dang now you have me confused on the tuner lol so add 2" to sst 60 tuner? Wouldn't that make it more like a stock 70hp tuner. I thought the stock 70hp tuner was longer than the sst60 tuners. Thanks for the tip on the reed cages I only planed on cleaning mine up and running CCMS reeds.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

get some pics and look. cut off stock and get some square tube and make a cowbell.
    as far as intake you are giving up a lot there................
    Thanks ferdthe4 thanked for this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice on the ports and reed cages I think I will be keeping my eye out for more of those etec ones. The advice is very much appreciated I've had plenty of experience working on and building engines in cars, but haven't delved much into modifying outboards so the advice is appreciated. I've read through mod 70's build thread it was very helpful as well. I get the idea on the tuner is to go for a cowbell shape I keep looking around for the thread where someone posted up the length of the tuner. So right now I'm think stick with the length of the 70 tuner just make it look like a cowbell sst60 tuner.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default check this out

Name:  70 tuner.JPG
Views: 1246
Size:  17.7 KBName:  sst 60 tuner.JPG
Views: 1337
Size:  39.9 KBName:  sst 60 tuner.JPG
Size:  39.9 KBName:  ETEC 90HP .jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  58.7 KBName:  70 tuner.JPG
Size:  17.7 KB
    Small World 90hp etec triple tuner right in the middle.
    There is a to of theory behind the geometry but it is a good picture .........................................Name:  70 tuner.JPG
Size:  17.7 KBName:  ETEC 90 MEGAPHONE GASKET DIMS.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  103.5 KBName:  sst 60 tuner.JPG
Size:  39.9 KBName:  ETEC 90 MEGAPHONE GASKET DIMS CLOSE UP.JPG
Views: 1178
Size:  35.3 KBName:  ETEC 90HP .jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  58.7 KB
    Last edited by MODIFIEDOUTBOARD; 08-24-2017 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Cowbell Like this one

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand what you mean by the cowbell shape and I finally found the thread that had the inlet and outlet size specs of the sst 60 tuner barried in fast freds mod 50 secrets page 76

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...hread-2/page76

inlet on exhaust base plate 1 1/2" x 1 3/4" outlet 2 3/8" x 2 3/8" what over all length works best in a long shaft mid is what I'm trying to figure out now. I've got a tig welder so welding up my own tuner isn't an issue trying to come up with ball park specs for when I finally get to tearing into my spare engine.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filthy phill View Post
    somebody is getting a little bit mixed up about a 70hp oval port on the dyno in 2004 !!!
    I would not be surprised if I was. That was several years ago and the complete process took about an hour. The owner had the outfit there for a bad cdi box. They had the motor on the dyno to test the new box. They were talking about the small carbs. I happened to be there working on our SST 60 race boat. The owner of the marina wondered if the 60 carbs would make a difference on that motor. I had my break in motor 60 carbs with me that is why I knew they had 75 jets. They took off the original carbs and I put on my 60 carbs. That was all we did. We did not do any more and the motor ran fine.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of what year you did the carb swap and dump test the info is much appreciated. Modifiedoutboard what the heck etec are those reed cages off of been trying to back search the part numbers off the ad to see what engines they were on with no luck.

Thread Information