ferdthe4
No it probably was not a 70hp oval port he saw on the dyno in 2004.

read this from Houndog back in just 2016, 12 years after the dyno test was done. it is very interesting and explains why it was not a 70hp..

" The thought it best to start a thread on this topic. I for one of many thought that the 60 hp and 70 hp carbs were all the same smaller size.
When PPR [Professional Powerboat Racing] made a rule change in FV class to allow the 2000 model 56 oval port in the class it had to run with its original carbs.
That same rule still applies in T850 for any oval port. None of the OMC racers back then ever ran the oval port block in the class.
One racer purchased a new set of 2000 model 70 hp carbs and ran them on his SST60 powerhead. They did not work.
When we see these carbs listed on EBAY they normally say they are for both 60 and 70 hp motors. I have never seen the 70 hp larger bore carbs.
Craig Fraser has a complete 70 hp oval port powerhead?? Dave Elsey has seen the carbs on it and they are larger.
I have a fresh 30 over oval port with carbs. They are the small bore carbs. We need to get the part numbers off Craig's carbs and we need to test those carbs on an oval port.
It could be that the larger carbs were on some but not all 70 hp oval port models. OR we just have not seen a real 70 hp oval port.
"
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................

that explains why it was not fitted with the larger carbs, and that means it was the 60hp version, it also explains why the larger sst60 carbs gave it an extra 8-9hp...
if this had been fitted with the bigger carbs he certainly would of known about them when they got changed over...

Houndog has been a around a few motors so knows his stuff, and for someone like him and a few of his friends to have not seen the bigger carbs on a real 70, just
goes to show that all its not always what it seems. always something to surprise us all.
he is 100% right about carbs being falsely advertised as for 60/70hp motors when they are just the small ones.