Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 56ci OMC realistic power

49ci OMC, Alum flat sabine river killer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 56ci OMC realistic power

On a fishing style motor factory cowling trim reg foot ect no big bore just a hard build
    how much power can be made with a 56
    All boat racers lie, accept me and you, but I am starting to question you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like nobody is biting

Post Thanks / Like

95hp

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In 2004 we tested a prop dynomonitor on a 70 hp oval port. It measured 71 hp at the prop. The only change we did was put SST 60 carbs with 75 main jets and it tested at 79 hp at the prop. This as a factory non rebuilt motor. We never did run it on the water because it was not my boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember what rpms was that?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hupiveneilija View Post
    Remember what rpms was that?
    Between 5500 and 5800 as I recall.
    Thanks hupiveneilija thanked for this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
    In 2004 we tested a prop dynomonitor on a 70 hp oval port. It measured 71 hp at the prop. The only change we did was put SST 60 carbs with 75 main jets and it tested at 79 hp at the prop. This as a factory non rebuilt motor. We never did run it on the water because it was not my boat.

curious as to what carbs are closest to the sst60 carbs I have 1994 stock 70hp oval port rude. A 8-9hp gains with carbs and jets would sure be nice especially in that rpm range since I running a jet lower. curious as to what carbs are closest to the sst60 ones since at least for me those are hard to find and expensive. It has stock carbs right now, I do have a 1987 70hp fishing motor with a prop sitting on a stand are those carbs better than the 1994 ones?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ferdthe4 View Post
    I do have a 1987 70hp fishing motor with a prop sitting on a stand are those carbs better than the 1994 ones?
    Provided the 1987 70 hp is a 56 cubic inch...it will have the big carbs...most likely they have a 69 main jet. The oval port loves fuel so I would run a 75 or larger jet with those carbs to start with. Blueprinted and slightly mod oval ports will run jets 77 to 80 with the big carbs... There is a lot of info on this site. Check the intake diameter, some say the intake is smaller on their oval port, use the intake off the 1987 if this is the case with your motor.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
    Provided the 1987 70 hp is a 56 cubic inch...it will have the big carbs...most likely they have a 69 main jet. The oval port loves fuel so I would run a 75 or larger jet with those carbs to start with. Blueprinted and slightly mod oval ports will run jets 77 to 80 with the big carbs... There is a lot of info on this site.
    Thank you, I've been reading around quiet a bit the 1987 is a 56ci and I thought they had the bigger carbs from what I have read, but didn't know for sure. Sure is a lot of info on here have been trying to read through everything I can. I appreciate the info very much. With that said lot of talk on here about jets and running different sizes where the heck is everyone getting these different size jets. Or am I just missing some really easy source for jets for these omc carbs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

somebody is getting a little bit mixed up about a 70hp oval port on the dyno in 2004 !!!

Thread Information