Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is that "glue"?

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not glue, it is the glue lines.
    When they use lost foam to cast the blocks the foam is in layers glued together. Glue spills out when it's pressed and drys.
    Then when the alloy is cast it also casts in the glue lines. These lines vary due to amount of glue pushed out, some are ridiculously bad. Even the sst60 race engines come with glue lines.. it is pretty easy to remove if you have the block stripped down.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not just the internals that get left with nasty looking marks, the outside is not a work of art by a long way.
    The later cylinder heads also have these stupid " lines" on the outside, it fools many people into thinking the head is a 3 part piece when its just one solid piece.
    The lines on the heads look like they are gaskets sticking out the sides. took a mould of a head with the gaskets on then just copied, no time taken to finish them off to look nice.
    Pretty poor show from a once great motor manufacturer.

here is what I mean.

.Name:  cyl head showing glue lines.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  312.1 KB

mine will have all this crap taken off and maybe polished up like a mirror or maybe sand blast finish. /

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filthy phill View Post
    For anyone interest here below is a diagram of the port heights on the 56 ci Oval port motor from 1993 onwards ( not to scale ) it shows
    the oval port heights and SST60 heights.
    Also showing some recommended heights (m.w) to allow it to rev higher and raise the powerband range.

Attachment 62851
    You need the deck heights as well to make things relevant
    Likes Freddie Webb liked this post

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I will re- measure again tomorrow, as I have written down in a couple of places the deck height cannot be right
    so will re-measure that again tomorrow with 2 different sets of callipers to make sure.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

ok been down and measured the deck height of my spare block, got some pretty surprising results, so checked it 3 times with 5 different sets of callipers.
    the cheap and expensive make analogue callipers are mine, but the others belong to a machinist.
    (I was very surprised how accurate the cheap digital ones are, I expected them to be way out. )..

temp in garage is 63 deg F ..

1, Analogue callipers (my cheapo cheap make) .............. 6.345, 6,350, 6.351. ( head moves around a bit )
    2. Analogue callipers (moore and wright)........................ 6.3501, 6.3501. 6.3501
    3. Digital callipers (cheap make ).................................. 6.3502, 6.3501, 6.3501
    4. Digital callipers (expensive Japanese ) ....................... 6.3500, 6.3500, 6.3500
    5. Digital callipers Neiko ( never heard of them before).... 6.3500, 6.3500, 6.3501.

so after all these measurements I would say the deck height is 6.350 inches... that was the biggest surprise to me.
    the reason I done it again today was because I had it written down as 6.300 and was sure this had to be wrong..( it was wrong by 50 thou).

Now I know there will be people who say this is not right, but I can assure you it is exactly what it is. I would of thought it to be bigger ?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

phil thanks for the measurements, and port picture helps a lot. Sorry been busier than a one legged man in a hookey pookey dancing contest lately. still need to measure my two engines carbs to see what they have.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is that "glue"?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    What is that "glue"?

Jeff
    When the block was made it was first pieces of foam they " glue " the foam together using wax.
    during that process they do not try to remove the excess wax and because of that this is what you see .

I remember asking about that . and at that time they just looked at me like i was crazy. I believe the comment was

" So you want us to hand remove all excess wax from the bock ???? ALL OF THE ???"
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

that's because when the glue it the foam parts touch a " glue plate " that come up out a hot bath of wax and touches off on the foam
    part and the assembled to its mate for cooling . timing and temperature are everything here . and that was not controlled very well at the time

Quote Originally Posted by filthy phill View Post
    It is not glue, it is the glue lines.
    When they use lost foam to cast the blocks the foam is in layers glued together. Glue spills out when it's pressed and drys.
    Then when the alloy is cast it also casts in the glue lines. These lines vary due to amount of glue pushed out, some are ridiculously bad. Even the sst60 race engines come with glue lines.. it is pretty easy to remove if you have the block stripped down.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

if a brand new motor was offered at a very low price it could of been expected, but the omc motors were NOT cheap and it was dreadful to send the motors out like this.
    I mean seriously how long would it actually take to clean up atleast the glue lines in the port areas with a grinder on a production line before sleeves went in ? 10 minutes per block, no more than that.
    I am not talking of perfectly polished ports, but atleast to an acceptable degree.
    They could not even be bothered to line up the sleeves correctly, it realy is a wonder they did not go bust a long time before they did.

Being as omc were trying their best to keep emission's down to keep the government's happy this alone could of helped a long way, if the engine breathes easier the emission's are less, as too is
    fuel consumption and longevity.
    Even the SST60 racing blocks came out with the lines in all the port holes and everywhere else the same as fishing motors, such a shame .

Thread Information