Wonder if any other old guy recalls seeing anything like this.

Back in my era (Pleistocene), well maybe 1962 or thereabouts, and growing up watching the Unlimiteds throwing their monster roostertails at the races on Lake Washington, I saw something outrageously hokey on a family trip east. Crossing a lake in the Midwest was a big heavy slow pleasure boat, something like a 20' Thompson, droning along at maybe 28-30mph . . . and throwing a high arcing roostertail!! I should say, "roostertail of sorts"; it looked more like the tight solid stream of water you'd get out of a garden hose with no nozzle and a lot of pressure behind it. I recall my uncle, who had a little marina on that lake, saying that some little boating hardware company had invented an attachment you could screw on the bottom of your transom with the sole purpose of scooping up water and throwing it up in the air behind your boat to simulate a roostertail and make your tub look FAST!!

(FWIW, as props got more efficient, the newer Unlimiteds threw roostertails that, disappointingly, were lower and less impressive than they were in the old days.)