Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15hp mercury throttle travel issues

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 15hp mercury throttle travel issues

Having issues with getting full throttle on my 2006 mercury 2 stoke with the tiller shift setup.. Seems as though someone has messed with the linkage and put something on the wrong way around somewhere? For It allows full throttle in reverse and only around 1/4 in forward?! Like it's working the wrong way around..

I have tried moving the cable adjustment around and also lengthing the control rod but had no joy so far and now pretty stumped! Any idea what might be up?

Video of it here may explain things better!

https://youtu.be/ukRbb7qiqeI

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Check something for us: Can you twist handle to "Forward" gear position, then turn the flywheel with your hand (turn it "clockwise", as viewed from above the engine). Observe now if the propeller is turning "clockwise" as viewed from behind the engine.

If the propeller is turning "Reverse" when the shift handle is in "Forward" then you need to disconnect the two cables from the round gear on the side of engine. Loosen the jam nuts on cable ends to gain enough slack to disconnect & reconnect the cables, then tighten the jam nuts to remove all but a very small amount of slack. When finished, the engine should ALWAYS shift firmly into gear before any throttle movement begins.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

as in forward and revers cables round the wrong way ?
    this would cause full complete throttle in reverse ands just over 1/3 in forward. I had a similar thing when I first got my Suzuki 30 twin.
    the motor had been in for service just before I got it and the "expert" who was supposed to be a qualified Suzuki technician had put the cable on wrong..
    obviously I had to re-check the whole motor incase anything else was wrong, like the rectifier he had buggered up and also broke the plastic throttle toggle on the outside of the motor.
    the fella I got the motor from was angry as he had paid a high price for the service.....

this could be the case with your motor, a cable or rod linkage on wrong. I would be looking at how it goes on then try switching the gear cable or rod around the other way.

is there any schematics in the owners manual for the linkage as in where to grease the cables etc ? sometime the little pics show more than you first think.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replys guys - the gear shifting is the right way around as I had been using it for the first time yesterday and was disappointed with the performance.. Until I found the issue and manually opened her up!

Can't figure out in my head if switching the cable around woukd make the gear shift work in reverse or just the throttle on this linkage.. I'll have to have a think about it with the engine in front of me

Think there is a schematic in the manual for it, although I'm away until Friday so unable to have a look for a little bit - someone did mention checking the 'barrel' in the end of the tiller that the cable ends lock onto in case it had been out as they seem to think they've seen it before..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

something has to be on there the wrong way round .
    those motors and loads like them only go fast in forward gear, its a safety thing, same as like starting in gear etc.
    it should not get full throttle in revers !!! so that alone says its wrong.

can you take a good pic of the side of the motor with the cables etc, the video you put on was not clear enough.
    (next time turn the phone the proper way to get full screen, it will also be clearer )

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filthy phill View Post
    something has to be on there the wrong way round .
    those motors and loads like them only go fast in forward gear, its a safety thing, same as like starting in gear etc.
    it should not get full throttle in revers !!! so that alone says its wrong.

can you take a good pic of the side of the motor with the cables etc, the video you put on was not clear enough.
    (next time turn the phone the proper way to get full screen, it will also be clearer )
    Definitely something oriented the wrong way I think now - I have a few photos also portrait! video was a bit of a last minute thought should have gone landscape for sure aha - linkage is at full forwards in photos - would be useful to see a video of another one operating - bet something will work differently!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 of these motors in the shop now, one is an early version with a round tube tiller arm, the other is like yours with a tiller arm that's a channel (open on the bottom). Both of these operate the throttle wide open in forward and reverse, there was no throttle stop/lockout that prevented full throttle in reverse on these motors.

Either the cables are adjusted wrong, or something is broken in the tiller tube. reference #25
    http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Me...dle/parts.html

If I remember correctly, it's possible to put reference #8 on 90* off. Yours looks to be correct though.
    http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Me...age/parts.html

Post Thanks / Like

I can not find a difference with our Merc 15 (2000).
    Only grease, a lot of thick grease.

I use a little teflon lubricant.
    • If you're still in control, you're not going fast enough

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The linkage has to be wrong, maybe the plastic behind where the cables run.

I would take the whole lot of then start a fresh.
    look at the diagram for the 2006.

take more video of the side and keep it full screen, then we might be able to seethe problem.
    Likes Mariner91 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ricochet112 View Post
    I have 2 of these motors in the shop now, one is an early version with a round tube tiller arm, the other is like yours with a tiller arm that's a channel (open on the bottom). Both of these operate the throttle wide open in forward and reverse, there was no throttle stop/lockout that prevented full throttle in reverse on these motors.

Either the cables are adjusted wrong, or something is broken in the tiller tube. reference #25
    http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Me...dle/parts.html

If I remember correctly, it's possible to put reference #8 on 90* off. Yours looks to be correct though.
    http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Me...age/parts.html
    Thanks for the reply - you were correct - the part in the tiller that the cable wraps around had broken and was pulling the outer cable instead of the inner - crappy plastic design so made a new one from stainless - seems to be working perfectly

Thread Information