Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyesen reeds occured drop in rpm's

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boyesen reeds occured drop in rpm's

Mounted Boyesen two stage power reeds on my Mercury 55 Sea Pro on a Gemini Zapcat. I tested performance before going from stock reeds to Power reeds. I got 61,1 mph at 6100 rpm's. This is a often seen performance with this setup. Motor is stock only rpm limiter cut. I was spinning a Merc. 12X18 TH cleaver.

The test results with Power reeds were disappointing. I achieved 57,5 mph at 5700 rpm's.

Further more I had a idle rpm raise to 1100 rpm's. And I had a motor stop when going from full throttle to idle. The engine would start immediately Again.

I'm about to go back to stock valves again but would give it a try for a good advice here.

Regards Brian

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds like something wrong here.
    first off the gear ratio is 1.64 to1 so 18 pitch at 6100 so yeah that is possible with a nice slip percentage of around 3.5%. great speed.

57mph at 5700rpm is giving same slip type figures, so you just got a bit of rpm limiting going on.

the reeds from boyesen have been known to do this to bikes years ago. it could be a bad set and your just the unlucky one.

This is why smaller firms like CCMS get real food reviews as they are not into 2 mile long mass production lines just pumping it out and not talking to the customer 1 on 1.
    More chance of getting a set of "not exactly good" reeds from this type of company.

So what exactly did you change ?
    did you change just the reeds and put everything else back as per normal ? what about reed stops etc.
    did you leave anything out or add anything else ?
    have you checked for any air leaks on the housing/gasket surfaces.
    to lose 400 rpm top end is a big deal, have you had a good look at them to see if they are the correct ones for your motor that is not a tuned race prep motor ?
    the reeds you have might be for a hydrotec type of tune up ?

what did they look like compared to the stock reeds ? any shape change ? or just the material ?

I know some of this might seem a bit simple, but often its the simple things we miss out on .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 62857

This is how it looks. I have used new gaskets and bolts are torqued properly and as specified in a circle from inside to outside on the manifold.

I have don nothing else. And I don't know how to check for leaks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

there is no pictures coming up !!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the pictures. I doesn't work

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

can be seen here: https://youtu.be/FX4J3YYHgog

Post Thanks / Like

What model yer is your motor?

I have a 1996 60 (850cc, 1.64:1 gears) and installed Chris Carson Reeds this past winter. I notice no change at all in performance in any way. No more power up top; no better idle. The engine behaves the same as far as I can tell. Although my application is not very high performance. I see 5100rpm max regularly and maybe 5400-5500 when I really lighten the load and trim up for a top speed trial.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a 2004 model 967 cc 1.64:1 gear.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

How did you remove the limiter ? if it was a wire simply disconnected , could you have accidently put it back on ?
    I am thinking of simple reasons why you lost the extra rpm .
    Was the reeds a nice fit when you put them in ? daylight test etc.
    I am not in any way saying your daft, doing it wrong or anything like that, I am looking for a reason that can be easy rectified.
    I have often been in a rush and made a complete *** of myself . ha ha
    Likes Galeon liked this post

Thread Information