Thread: Mirage Tomcat Resurrection

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mirage Tomcat Resurrection

I figured I'd start a thread on the repair of this old hull. It has had a lot of "mods" and some "repairs". All the wood is bad and the cores are delaminated. I'm starting by grinding off all the additions to the running surfaces then I will jig and tab it up to replace the cores, bulkheads, transom and such. Current jig is just to flip it over and clean off the bottom. Not going to be a fast project but I hope to have it rigged and running by next summer or next mini boat enduro. Here is the current state of disrepair.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Found some pics of when I first took it apart
    Dave
    Thanks ClayT thanked for this post
    Likes ClayT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Got a little done. Ground and sanded off most of the mess from the bottom of the hull. Still have to clean off the bottom of the tunnel. Not sure what that is. Some kind of putty. There was a lot of neat resin and what looked like cat hair resin spread all over this thing. A lot of holes too. . .

This thing is thin (light). Deck and hull. Gunna get the hull pretty fair but the deck will still be wavey when I'm done. You can see the waves in the bottom of the tunnel from the delam of the core. The patch is about a 1/4 inch thick. I'll be cutting it out and redoing it before the cores are replaced. Will be traveling for a few days then will get started on the external bracing.
    Dave
    Thanks Ron Hill, wtsjr66 thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill, ClayT, Joe Silvestri 36-S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

They were built light, especially the deck. I rebuilt a friend's for Sport C a few years back. Started in better shape structurally, but the deck was fractured in many places. The deck floated above the frames. Problem was at 60mph it rattled against the frame tops, and eventually fractured along them. I separated the hull-deck joint outside (no relief holes along cockpit sides like you have) and added rubber fuel tubing to the tops of frames to cushion, then repaired the fractures and glassed the whole side decks with a layer of cloth. Depending on your application, it's not a bad idea to add pour foam in the sponsons.

On the rigging side, I've found a mercruiser trim pump, and merc outboard ram off ebay work well. Most people use a rubber truck gear shift boot to keep the water out. I found glassing in an outboard well of sorts around the ram and bracket is more reliable for longer waits at the dock between races. I'll try to take a pic. Or some people have built trim ram mounts that are entirely external. Either way power trim is the only way to drive these. With the 40hp 2 cylinder Tohatsu they're good for 55-60mph, WOT full time, cornering and blowover prevention is all with the thumb controlled trim switch.

Looks like you have a good project hope it goes well!
    mini tunnel boats for sport, now an experimental Sport C added to the fleet.

Post Thanks / Like

The 2 stripes along the tunnel were probably small strips 1/2-3/4" tall. Not quite sure how they worked, but I've heard they affected air and water in the tunnel and allowed the motor to be jacked up higher before losing cooling. Wes Fridell in northern Washington runs that setup on his Tomcat Sport C, and I think Bob Schellhase has a similar mod on his top secret 20 year tomcat development project he's been building.
    mini tunnel boats for sport, now an experimental Sport C added to the fleet.

Thread Information