Thread: New ideas, current classes and new classes in Ontario Canada

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb New ideas, current classes and new classes in Ontario Canada

I have continued to offer ideas to the race group up here. I still find it strange that our governing body and most of our race clubs operate backwards compared to other organizations. Other organizations have the direction and goals come from the top down. We go bottom up and that stops people from offering ideas once they get turned down a few times.

Here are my latest:
    Add a tunnel class to J hydro....motor is a 15 hp 4 stroke with a Ron Hill supplied prop.
    Add a new Junior grouping where a number of current classes and new classes all run in the same session.
    This is a timed race...20 minutes....one session per day.....no scoring....session is drone video and shown after the race day. All of the boats in the group are 40'sh mph. Class is open to 12 yrs and up. Racers are allowed to switch boats thru the season. There will be a number of different makes and models of outboards in the group. The class purpose is to get new young people to experience our sport.

Group boats
    AX hydro.....I hope the wakes from the other boats are small. Be nice to have this in the group.
    20 hp SO tunnel
    GT Pro tunnel
    Junior T boat
    Canadian V hull aluminum dinghy
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill, Jimboat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hounddog: You and I Are TOO OLD and The YOUNG DON'T CARE

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
    I have continued to offer ideas to the race group up here. I still find it strange that our governing body and most of our race clubs operate backwards compared to other organizations. Other organizations have the direction and goals come from the top down. We go bottom up and that stops people from offering ideas once they get turned down a few times.

Here are my latest:
    Add a tunnel class to J hydro....motor is a 15 hp 4 stroke with a Ron Hill supplied prop.
    Add a new Junior grouping where a number of current classes and new classes all run in the same session.
    This is a timed race...20 minutes....one session per day.....no scoring....session is drone video and shown after the race day. All of the boats in the group are 40'sh mph. Class is open to 12 yrs and up. Racers are allowed to switch boats thru the season. There will be a number of different makes and models of outboards in the group. The class purpose is to get new young people to experience our sport.

Group boats
    AX hydro.....I hope the wakes from the other boats are small. Be nice to have this in the group.
    20 hp SO tunnel
    GT Pro tunnel
    Junior T boat
    Canadian V hull aluminum dinghy
    I will supply up to 12 free props for your J Four Stroke Class......Just don't limit the boat's design, and stay with 20-30 minute races.

Yom Ige, the original import of Yamato Outboards. build a very cool little VEE Bottom hull, he tried to race it against the Model 80's in 20 SS Runabout, in four laps he was last, on the fifth lap, of a five lap race, he passed half the field. He only raced it two heats, but I always felt, in a ten lap heat, he might been able to win. And the boat was fun to drive around with two in the boat....

Why would not score the boats? In swimming, which my kids did for probably 25 years, most events, had three scorers per swimmer. If I remember correctly, they'd toss the low time and the top time, and take the middle time. And if I recall correctly, the times were frequently very close.

ADD:

We are getting ready for our four season with Lucas Regional Off Road Racing. I am convinced, that Lucas has a group of KNOWLEDGEABLE people, sit down in a clean, modern, air conditioned oval office and discuss: 1. What makes safe racing? 2. What makes fun racing? 3. What will keep cost down?

Example: My son has sold his Pro Buggy to be the Crew Chief for his six year old, who races and RZR 170. Prop Buggy, Honda Motors, got to be about $10,000 each. Lucas went to a "Sealed" motor, an Econ-Tech Chevy. $800 at the junk yard (2,3 million made), you then spent $3,200 for fuel injection, header and sealed motor. They give you the dyno sheet.

Ford comes to Lucas and says, "We'll give you $5,000 a race to let us run our Pro Buggy motor." Lucas says, "Well, we know Ford blow up, so NO!."

Lucas is in the business to make money, though!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-05-2017 at 01:25 PM.
    Thanks hydrospeed77 thanked for this post
    Likes hydrospeed77, crewman060 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I will supply up to 12 free props for your J Four Stroke Class......
    Why would not score the
    Thanks Ron for the props offer. There are several reasons for not scoring.
    - many young people are not competitive and this will encourage them to try our sport.
    - its is called a group session rather than a race. We are mixing different types of race boats which is currently a know-know by APBA rules.
    - the group is all about getting young people in the sport and promoting new classes and new motors. Drivers can try other boats in the group during the season. See what they like.
    - some of the boats are sponsored so you can rent it to race.
    - one problem with starting a new class like dinghy is getting enough boats to fill the class. With the group session we can test the boat and make any changes. And only need a few boats
    - if a class gets growth interest then it can become a single class by itself.
    - this class gets the kid lake racers on the oval with proper safety gear and safety support.
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default 660 Drags, Might Be Good!

The "YOOTS" from Texas to North Carolina, most of who drive with tiller hands, seem to be having fun with 660 Foot Drags.

Personally, I loved the 9 Hour, so even quarter mile drags, seemed to be a "DRAG" for me. BUT, I've said for the last 40 or 50 years, that INJURIES or FEAR of INJURIES have driven more from the sport of Boat Racing than any other reason. Including, our family!

Geoff Archer started Junior Drags with Lucas Oil Drags, and he could have continued if he wished in invest more than his life's fortune. Geoff is a retire Nevada Fireman and owns Twisted Liquid Boats of Havasu. He and I are talking about having four events in 2018 for 660 Foot Drags.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One of our race clubs here is a Drag Event Club. They have drag and circle races plus interesting side shows as part of the event. They have been very successful and have attracted new fans and racers to their club. They want to keep their events fresh and offer different types of boat related topics.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
    One of our race clubs here is a Drag Event Club. They have drag and circle races plus interesting side shows as part of the event. They have been very successful and have attracted new fans and racers to their club. They want to keep their events fresh and offer different types of boat related topics.
    Why not approach them with your idea for a new class. I think you could add it to the sanction as a special event to try it out. You would have to check with CBF to confirm that though. Just a thought if you really wanted to try it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harold8 View Post
    Why not approach them with your idea for a new class. I think you could add it to the sanction as a special event to try it out. You would have to check with CBF to confirm that though. Just a thought if you really wanted to try it.
    Spoke with them a few weeks ago. It would be too much work for a 1 time event. The new boats would need to be built. I would want the session group to be in both clubs. The clubs may not want all the boat classes at some events. So far I have a person interested in supporting GT Pro and another supporter for dinghy. Junior T is not a problem. I need a supporter for the 20 hp SO tunnel. SO is currently strong and they don't like change.

It would be much easier if the president of CBF said to the race clubs. "We need to do something to increase membership, have a more modern image and I will support whatever format you want to try." The problem is you have to work your way up the stairs passed the people who do not want to consider change. The main problem is I am doing it alone......Ron's quote is dead on......Young people just don't care...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You are right about the young people now a days, they are more content to sit at home on their computers playing games. Then again there needs to be some kind of connection to boating to have them getting interested in racing. I know that’s where I got the bug, at the cottage! I don’t know how to spark that interest in people that aren’t connected. Boat shows and displays are a start I guess.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

At the 2018 APBA convention coming next year they have set times to discuss New Classes. In my view the key to success is junior grass roots classes. Make it easy to start a new class. Any UIM or other successful individual country classes where there is a good history and a rule book should be looked at. I like my idea of the Session Group because it allows these different classes to be tried. The classes that grow in the session group can move up to become new approved classes. Maybe APBA will mandate that there must be multiple junior classes with different types of boats at at APBA events. This goes back to my first paragraph in my first post. Leadership and direction come from the top down.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Cybertainment has Taken Over

Back about 23years ago, there use to be a super good patriot radio broadcast by a guy in FL. It became, at one point, the biggest private, grass roots media on the AM radio.

The thing I

use to like about the show the most was that they had some extremely intelligent PHD types on as guests, ranging from the far left to the far right in political thought & knowledge.

What I specifically remember is a guest from a significant California think-tank college, and what he predicted back then and what has come to reality at an alarming rate in the last 5 years.

He said back then that in the future the powers that be want the youth (and then later the adults) to be totally content and satisfied with cybertainment without the physical combination that most of us are accustomed to, ie think about it, learn about it, build it, perfect it, perform it, improve it and progress it.

Now it's all primarily virtual. When you really think about it, even what we experienced back in the day and were accustomed to in our traditions and history, what it ultimately boils down to is the science of mind over matter.

They, the powers that be want us all entertained cheaply , contained and wage slaves for them forever. It was a plan that seems to be working well.

Regards,

Paul

P.S.
    Be careful pissing to much in the wind !

The word you used Mandate, sounds to much to me like Obama's hope and change Con Job !
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Thread Information