Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who burned Homer Kincaid's boat?

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm!

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, it was a runabout that was destroyed.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There is a mention of it in Ralph's first book but it does not give a date.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just Talked to Ralph DeSilva, Today, 12/14/2017

The boat was on the trailer when Homer got to the Holiday Inn. The Holiday Inn is 15-20 from Lake DePue.

The boat was found burned in the corn field next to the Holiday Inn's parking lot. It was a DeSilva Runabout.

Ralph and I speculated, that maybe a cigarette butt had landed in the boat while going down the highway. Some person (s) saw the boat burning and took it off the trailer. They didn't stay around to explain why.....

Seems, I recall Homer not being angry...

No word from Timmy Seebold!

Add I never knew it was a runabout until today!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-14-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I started racing late in Homer's career, and I cannot recall him in a runabout. Maybe that was his last one. Maybe that's why he wasn't upset that it burned. Made me think about what Louis Williams told Joe Rome back in the very late 60's. He said to Joe..."Joe...if I ever start to get into a hydro again....tie me to a tree!".

Post Thanks / Like

Default Funny About Hydros and Runabouts

My biggest outboard win was the John Ward Trophy Race, 1967, 500 CC Hydroplane. I never really liked hydros, my *** was always out in the open. Runabouts made sense, as they had sides, and if someone ran into you, they the boat's side, not your ***.

In 1977, I got a new Bezoat D Stock hydro, I won 14 races that year, qualified #1 for Nationals finals, but Clark Maloof beat me in the finals. I actually broke the competition record in D Stock Hydro that year.

I actually "FELL OUT" of that hydro three time in 1977, my *** hit the water and I bounced back in, all three times. I did some amazing hand springs.

But by mid 1978, I decide I was quitting "KNEELDOWN" racing, especially hydros, because it was un safe.

I always drove my hydros like"THEY COULD KILL ME". Runabouts, I drove them like I owned them.

Just saying.

I beat Homer at Valleyfield, 1967, I was 23, Homer was probably 43. I was in AWE of him. After the race he came and shook my hand. It was hard for me to believe I had just beat legend. It was harder to believe he'd congratulated me on my win.

My last C Stock Hydro race: I call the Bowman and ask what I needed to do to run CSH on my DSH Bezoats. They said use one of your L88 props, jack the motor up 3/4 of an INCH AND "go for it".

So, I jack the motor up 3/4 of an inch and head for the first turn, I'm passing the Lister boys who have won like three C Hydro Nationals in a row, when the damn boat just goes right. I fly between both Lister and do a "CHEST PLANT" (Later, both Listers said they could hear my air go out, I hit with such a "Clunk".

Monday, I call Craig Bowman and say, "Christ, I tipped over going to the first turn. I raised the motor 3/4" above where I run my 'D' just like you said." Craig says, "Where are you running the 'D'"? I say, "3/4" above the transom." Craig says, "Oh, ****, you'll tip that thing over every time". I never raced C Stock Hydro again!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-15-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    My last C Stock Hydro race: I call the Bowman and ask what I needed to do to run CSH on my DSH Bezoats. They said use one of your L888 props, jack the motor up 3/4 of aN INCH AND "go for it".

So, I jack the motor up 3/4 of an inch and head for the first turn, I'm passing the Lister boys who have won like three C Hydro Nationals in a row, when the damn boat just goes right. I fly between both Lister and do a "CHEST PLANT" (Later the said they could hear my air go out).
    Ron, I laughed at running a C motor on a D stock hydro. When I started playing with C, my first chance to test and race it was up at Wakefield on my D boat. I tested a bunch of props but didn't like any. Finally after testing was over, a photographer from my home town of DePere wanted to go for a ride in a hydro. The referee gave us special permission to make a couple laps. The C was set up so I used that. I had only run three blades before but had one 2 blade so I thought that might plane off better with 2 in the boat. You were there watching as we planed of with the prop hitting the bottom a tad bit. But it ran decent with two in the boat. Fortunately, Fran wanted to get out and sit on the pontoon boat anchored in the corner. Well, with just me in the boat, it ran great. When we came back in, you were laughing at me for hitting bottom with the prop. I said no problem, it wasn't my prop anyway, it was your's! An L88. You grabbed it and did a good field repair. It was fast qualifier but motor dropped a piston pin retaining clip in the final and ruined the block but I found more good blocks- the key to a 30-H.

I blew over twice in C hydro, both times when using a D boat- never after I built a smaller C boat. I had to run the D boat really loose to go fast and it had more bottom area if it got a tiny bit too high. You could run the C boat much higher with no problem. And I never lost to the Lister's in C. One of them even crashed me in Dayton to keep me from winning the Nationals. I liked Mr Lister and Larry Lister, even Lister's sister but not the one that crashed me!

Hydros are much safer with higher cockpit sides. I ran my C pretty deep, end of propshaft was almost 5/8 inch deep but kicked in a bunch. The boat rode high so I needed it that deep to have control.

Jerry Wienandt
    Post Thanks / Like

And that would be Mark Lister? I was there, remember it well.

Agree on high cockpit sides...

And who begged for you to build a hydro with higher sides?

I could not have driven my D/E boat with 'normal' sides... I was way too big a pile. I loved the high sides, and dashboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, I believe the boat that was burned was a small runabout rather than a hydro as you suggested. Homer was hard to beat in any class, but if a fellow racer burned that boat to eliminate strong competition, he was a low life SON OF A BITCH and unworthy of being called a boat racer. As far as the theory that Homer burned the boat, or authorized the burning, I don't believe it. Homer would have owned up to it after all the uproar the incident caused. BTW: What were you doing in the cornfield?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    Ron, I believe the boat that was burned was a small runabout rather than a hydro as you suggested. Homer was hard to beat in any class, but if a fellow racer burned that boat to eliminate strong competition, he was a low life SON OF A BITCH and unworthy of being called a boat racer. As far as the theory that Homer burned the boat, or authorized the burning, I don't believe it. Homer would have owned up to it after all the uproar the incident caused. BTW: What were you doing in the cornfield?
    Testing his Cobb for fit Gene!��

Thread Information