Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who burned Homer Kincaid's boat?

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who burned Homer Kincaid's boat?

Part of boat racing history is the story of the burning of Homer's boat at Depue.

I wasn't active in the alky scene at this time so all I've heard are second hand stories. From what I have heard, the mystery has never been solved or owned up to.

There must be some great stories about this yet to be told.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Was This Homer's Boat That Burned Up?

Grandpa Seebold took credit for Homer "BLOWING OVER". He said, Homer wasn't going too well, so Grandpa loaned him a prop. Next thing he know is Homer "BLOWING OVER".
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck trying to find out Tim as I have tried to find out myself. The only thing I have found out is that the boat was set on fire in a field adjacent to the old Holiday Inn in Peru , besides that I believe the culprit will never be identified.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What year was that?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    What year was that?
    Wayne:

Don't remember the exact year but it was a couple of years prior to 1968 as that was the year I started back racing and I remember Harry ZAK telling me about it. Surely a competitor or someone who had a grudge, although I can't visualize who would have a grudge again Homer as he was one of the most soft spoken, nicest people around the sport, and very popular also. There is always someone who will do something like that though, and someone living or dead now knows who. Just can't imagine who could keep a secret like that for so long.

He was a hell of a driver, even winning races, including APBA Nationals, up till the time he retired from work and racing. As most know who read BRF often, he once won every race at a regatta, both Hydro and Runabout.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, I joined Outboard Club of Chicago in 1965, first race year was 1966. The boat burning happen in "66 or '67. The thought at the time was some local kids did it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, Bud Finkl race number was V-511, he was a tall skinny man, I still believe that photo is of him in Lakeland FL.

Post Thanks / Like

Talked to Tim Butts today about it and he said no one ever knew who did it back in the day.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill Van. Between you and Bill It looks like you guys put it between 66 and 67. It was a couple of years before we went to DePue and before we met Homer. I believe you are right about it being Bud Finkl Bill. I knew who he was, but never actually met him. Seems strange I didn't since I dated his youngest daughter 1974-1976. That photo was taken at Lakeland, and I think I first saw it in a program around 1970. When Ron mentioned Homer Kinkaid I was wondering why he didn't have on his trademark full length white overalls. I have forgotten Homer's number, but one roster I have showed him under the number V-9. I have thought long and hard, and although every now and then I knew of some questionable things done by a boat racer or pit crew, I could not think of one person I ever knew that would do something like burn a competitors boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill Seebold, Jr. May Know About This...

I ran DePue, 1966-67-68-69, I somewhat remember Homer's boat burning up, but seems to me, no one was real upset about it.

Many people smoked in those day, well they still do, but boats were carried on top of cars, maybe a cigarette could have caused it, and that they just dumped it in the field to save the car.

Maybe, they didn't want to explain why they were in the corn fields.

I know why I was in the cornfield in Harry Bartolomei's station wagon, 1967.....My mom and dad called from my grandpa's in Arkansas to see if the Holiday Inn had a room (My folks thought I was staying with Harry, but I was staying with Julie). The guy at the front desk told my mom, Ron Hill is checked in with two double beds...So, my mom and dad drove down to DePue from Arkansas.

Hence, the next night, I was in the cornfield with Julie.....Her friend had a room there with Donny Hauenstein, so she didn't sleep in the car.

Homer had that new Schultz, so he really didn't need his old boat.

Thread Information