Thread: Does Anyone But Me Ever Wonder Why People Don't Race Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does Anyone But Me Ever Wonder Why People Don't Race Boats

https://www.apba.org/sites/all/files...12-3-17%29.pdf

I spent an hour trying to find the weights for

A Hydro

20 Hydro

C Hydro

C Runabout is 475 pounds: BOAT, MOTOR AND DRIVER.

C Mod Hydro

and I failed, but I sure got "BOGGED DOWN" reading the rules. Any help would be nice, thanks!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-24-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

CSR is 475#
    kk

Post Thanks / Like

Look on manual numbered page 17 in your link for weights in stock hydro and runabout.

For Mod hydro see manual numbered page 5 under General rule 4:

https://www.apba.org/sites/all/files...20Manual_0.pdf
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for Helping Me Out

We are considering running some closed course heats with our Mini Boat Drags!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I complained long ago that all knowledge must be assumed, they talk about the class but not what the boat and engine is so how does a punter know they can join a race or not?
    Just ask someone that is not a racer to find out what they need to race, you wont find it via anyones web site except COR, where I could read that and get boat and engine I know I can turn up and race and or find out the costs.
    What can you make of a class that is a letter of the alphabet?
    Likes ProHydroRacer liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    https://www.apba.org/sites/all/files...12-3-17%29.pdf

I spent an hour trying to find the weights for

A Hydro

20 Hydro

C Hydro

C Runabout is 475 pounds: BOAT, MOTOR AND DRIVER.

C Mod Hydro

and I failed, but I sure got "BOGGED DOWN" reading the rules. Any help would be nice, thanks!

The reason that stock/mod outboard racing (particularly the so-called B stock) is virtually gone as it deserves to be, is because everybody doing it is running obscure and antique engines that are real hard to come by on very unsteady bouncy little boats that are overpowered, being extremely difficult to tune over-all and race successfully. Furthermore there is no incentive so one could support future participation such as real prize money or newly made and openly obtainable parts, and there is no premise for real sponsorship. The only current maker of a couple of the motors used is Yamato and Sidewinder. These are not mainstream engine makers. One is a very limited supplier for a gambling program in Japan and the other is some guy with a little money to waste, who was fascinated with a totally off the wall, cheap made, unreliable little motor that (if you could get it to run) was fast as all get-out, but was a total piece of crap called a Champion HotRod. No one with any concept of financial responsibility would pay five grand for one of these (otherwise useless exept for racing) hotrod type engines that cant be bought online and has no actual parts catalogue anywhere available to maintain it. You have to find someone who is connected to buy one or replace a part on it. That is not a good selling program all to assure a perspective buyer of support for such an investment. At least the Yamato engine dealers do provide all this though which is why Yamato is more successful. To put this all simply, this antiquated mostly forgotten motorsport is too costly, too technically difficult, and highly impractical to be approachable to any average person outside of this. And there are no races except in a few places that is not always close enough to make a trip worth while and one never knows whether a particular outboard class will be hosted from one year to the next in a particular region. When you have a particular individual interested who hunts for ever to find an affordable running racing engine, who builds a boat, who spends for ever to finally find or make a propeller that works, who busts his rear to fine tune it all hoping to make it run fast enough, only in the end to find that his particular set up is suddenly ousted from a class that is further not going to have a showing at a nearest venue that year or the next, who upon research looking at what veteran racers are saying and talking about........it is easy to say NO!!!! as in a hell no, to getting involved with this ridiculous mess. That why I converted my race boat I showed on here a couple years ago into a utility style speedster, and I set my motor up for personal enjoyment. The rule makers and club goers can take their rules and joke of a racing club and stay far from where I am. Ill pick a race or two against a fast PWC for good fun on a weekend here and there about where there are no judges, no tearing a good motor down for a suspicious bunch of sore losers afterwards, and no weird technical parity rules with outlawing and questionable redirections. Its just a neat old race engine on a fast adrenaline rush machine and the water for fun, not some aggravating competition. I Pass it up, Pass it on.....
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill, ProHydroRacer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    I complained long ago that all knowledge must be assumed, they talk about the class but not what the boat and engine is so how does a punter know they can join a race or not?
    Just ask someone that is not a racer to find out what they need to race, you wont find it via anyones web site except COR, where I could read that and get boat and engine I know I can turn up and race and or find out the costs.
    What can you make of a class that is a letter of the alphabet?
    http://www.corboatracing.com/

Want to guess who is driving the 30 boat on the COR site??? (Chad Hill).

I left COR behind, for safety. Johnny Soares was driving for me, Johnny is an excellent driver, he has raced Mini Boats, MOD VP, both capsuled and non-capsules and he races cars on pavement (Not real fast cars). Johnny and I decided: A. Hydraulic Steering was really bad, way too slow for a race boat B. Someone was going to get killed because no one was really enforcing driving rules.

So, we quit. The first race of the year, on the warm up lap, a guy ran over another guy and was killed. I will have nothing to do with a MOD VP boat until it has a capsule. I don't think they are safe at the ENDURO.

My trouble, I'm still a hopelessly romantic boat racer.
    Likes ProHydroRacer, Powerabout liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    http://www.corboatracing.com/

Want to guess who is driving the 30 boat on the COR site??? (Chad Hill).

I left COR behind, for safety. Johnny Soares was driving for me, Johnny is an excellent driver, he has raced Mini Boats, MOD VP, both capsuled and non-capsules and he races cars on pavement (Not real fast cars). Johnny and I decided: A. Hydraulic Steering was really bad, way too slow for a race boat B. Someone was going to get killed because no one was really enforcing driving rules.

So, we quit. The first race of the year, on the warm up lap, a guy ran over another guy and was killed. I will have nothing to do with a MOD VP boat until it has a capsule. I don't think they are safe at the ENDURO.

My trouble, I'm still a hopelessly romantic boat racer.
    Did you consider going roll cage like the Texas Tri hull?

Thread Information