Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1955 United Speedboat Association By-Laws

Post Thanks / Like

Default United Speedboat Association

Just came across this in a collection I received and thought it may be interesting to some. The 1955 By-laws.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Post Thanks / Like

Default Those Damn Mercury's Have To Be "Kicked Out" of the LASA

My dad started racing boats about 1937-39. By 1947, he was Race Chairman of the LASA (Los Angeles Speedboat Association). My dad was a serious "Motor Head". But about 1949, those little Mercury motors caught his attention. He had build Elgin Gate's C Service and M Motors, and Elgin had broken the records in both classes.

Doc Jones, the Mercury Distributor, hired Elgin as a mechanic. Elgin was a good mechanic. In late 1949 Elgin was told by Doc Jones, he was selling the Mercury Distributorship and buying the OMC Distributorship and he was moving to Phoenix. But, he told Elgin, the Mercury Distributorship was opening in Southern California.

Elgin tried to get my dad to become a partner, for $5,000. My dad opted to be a dealer, he became dealer #1 until his death in 1997.

As the Mercury became more popular, they became known, by the "TRUE RACERS" as Damn Mercury's.

It came to a head after a Long Beach race when there were more DAMN MERCURY's than
    "TRUE RACERS" (They burn alcohol).

So the LASA called an emergency meeting at my dad's house in Bellflower. At that meeting, the "DAMN MERCURY'S" got voted out of the club. My dad told them it was a mistake and resigned from the LASA, never to rejoin. The few "DAMN MERCURY" guys who attended the "EMERGENCY" (Secret) meeting. Decided to make their own club, called the USA. United Speedboat Association.

My dad, with my brother's help wrote these By_laws, Newel S. Crowley, our neighbor filed them for Non-Profit status with the sate....

Hence, the 1955 looking logo. My dad, because he had a Mercury dealership, though he never had a retail shop, never was a USA officer. BUT he was the motor inspector at every race, even after I started racing, 1955. In 1955, we raced on TV, so I was a USA and VSA member.

Valley Speedboat Association: My brother wrote their By-Laws when they were going to race in TV, 1955. He took the By-Laws to our neighbor, Newel S. Crowley, Attorney at Law, and the VSA became a California non+profit.

The USA and VSA merged about 1960, to become SCOA, Southern California Outboard Association.

Probably, I'm the only one in America that knows anything about VSA.

Valley Speedboat Association: My brother wrote their By-Laws when they were going to race in TV, 1955. He took the By-Laws to our neighbor, Newel S. Crowley, Attorney at Law, and the VSA became a California non+profit.

The USA and VSA merged about 1960, to become SCOA, Southern California Outboard Association.

Probably, I'm the only one in America that knows anything about VSA

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is some really good stuff.....digging back to the origins. That's what Ron and Ted started out to do with this site....Boat Racing FACTS. Thanks Dale for putting this up and Ron for telling us the beginnings, and why it happened..

Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill, Al Lang liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Stay tuned Ron and Wayne . With the collection I just received there will be plenty more to post.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to it Dale. I hope you are setting up your library so you can have more immediate access than I had hoped for mine. You are becoming our historian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Looking forward to it Dale. I hope you are setting up your library so you can have more immediate access than I had hoped for mine. You are becoming our historian.
    Thank you Wayne but there are guys in the boat racing community that are far more equipped to be historians than I. They actually lived and breathed boat racing. Guys like yourself , RC Hawie , Ron , John Schubert , Bill Van and Pete Voss just to name a few. I am just collecting boat racing memorabilia in order to preserve it for future generations , a place to go to find the history. Nothing can replace the knowledge you gentleman have. This website and ones like it are essential in preserving that history!!!!!!! Long live boatracingfacts.com.

Websites like this cost money to maintain so I ask , if you are able , click on the link on the top of the home page and donate to BRF. Lets help Ron keep this site going.
    Last edited by racingfan1; 12-30-2017 at 08:32 AM. Reason: changes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aug 1961 USA newsletter

I am not sure I will ever be able to post all the information I received courtesy of Richard Davidson but here is a start. I believe this to be the August 1961 newsletter , there is no date on it but it contains the July meeting minutes and race results. Maybe Ron can give us more on the actual date of the newsletter.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aug 1961

Cont

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aug 1961

more

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aug 1961

cont1