Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gas to Oil Mixes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas to Oil Mixes?

Hello buddies, I just had a quick question. I just bought a Stock Outboard ASR rig and it has a 15HP Evinrude motor. What would be a good ratio of gas to oil for racing this motor? And if anyone can share some good oils and gas sellers I would thank you very much.
    Earl

Post Thanks / Like

Default oil

In our 45 motor, we have had the best luck with Lucas semi-synthetic at 32-1. Bill Curtis
    It don't get no better than this.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas/oil ratio

OMC recommended 50:1 for the OMC-A but everybody runs much more oil. 25:1 (4%) or 5oz per gallon is a popular mix. Red Line synthetic is popular here in the west, but I've seen no proof that it is superior to any major brand of TC-3 outboard oil.
    Any regular grade pump gas will run fine, forget racing fuels, invest in props instead.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

take a compression test, up to 130psi any pump gas will do, 135-145psi ya need high test, 150-180psi ya need a blend at least or it's guna melt in about 10mins. thinkin your at about 120-125psi , seems to be two schools on the mix, old school says extra oilis good for best seal and lube, new school... Lean on it.

bill boyes

I have been using Red Line 20/1 or 32oz per 5 gals for over 10 years in our OMC 15, Y80 and now y 102 and 302's and have no problems. I'am VERY happy with this oil. However, IT IS NOT A BREAK IN OIL. For that I use Mercury oil.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The difference ...

Quote Originally Posted by bill boyes
    I have been using Red Line 20/1 or 32oz per 5 gals for over 10 years in our OMC 15, Y80 and now y 102 and 302's and have no problems. I'am VERY happy with this oil. However, IT IS NOT A BREAK IN OIL. For that I use Mercury oil.
    Hey Bill ... can you explain the what/why differences between Red Line and Merc oil for break-in purposes?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Thunder
    Hey Bill ... can you explain the what/why differences between Red Line and Merc oil for break-in purposes?
    Thanks

Red Line is synthetic, Merc is not. Rings will not seat properly using synthetic for break in...........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy
    Red Line is synthetic, Merc is not. Rings will not seat properly using synthetic for break in...........
    Thanks everyone you have been very helpful.
    Take Care,
    Earl

Thread Information