Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: N.O.A. Roostertail

Post Thanks / Like

Default June 1957

Here is the June 1957 edition of Rooster Tail.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default June 1957

cont

Post Thanks / Like

Default JUne 1957

cont1

Post Thanks / Like

Default July 1957

Here is the July 1957 edition.

Post Thanks / Like

Default July 57

cont

Post Thanks / Like

I mistakenly posted responding to the wrong Roostertail, I thought this was the 1960 issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racingfan1 View Post
    Cont

In Oct. 1960 I upped that record to 56.693 mph with the same boat and Merc 800 but running a Sportsmaster lower unit (small, the
    size of a 1975 Johnson Stinger gearcase but geared 13:21). That record won me the Wynn Oil Co. diamond stick pin and $100, I still wear the pin. Paul's record wa set with a Gale 60, which was a Fat Fifty with higher compression and the 21:23 Johnson 75 lower unit. I set 2 more records that day (37-40 and 40-50) and my dad set the 67-70 record. All with Allisons and Mercurys. My dad and I each ran over 60.5 mph with the 800 on my 13' Allison driving from the rear (he sitting, I on my knees) but Paul had borrowed a Merc 800 with Sportsmaster (there were only two of those gearcases in Tenn. in Oct. 1960) and ran nearly 61.5 mph for the unlimited record. He borrowed the Merc 800 from Leland Willicks, the Johnson dealer (Blount Marine, later Johnnie's Marine in Maryville) who sponsored Norman Goodson (read the Roostertail article). Leland was running an 11' Allison with a mod Johnson 75, our Mercurys were stock. According to Paul, who loves to retell the story, Leland yelled to Norman (in his boat) 'Go get that record back!' Norman yelled back 'Paul could put my boat in his and still break the record'. Leland, 'Then put it on the trailer and let's go home'. So ended the domination of the Johnson 21:23-geared 75 over the Merc 800 that year, and Paul (who had earlier been a Scott man and then a Johnson man) became a Mercury man forever. From 1977-85 whenever we tested a new model for GP Class he always wanted to rig Darris' Merc 850 on the boat even if my smaller cid Evinrude 75 was faster. I set the EP record in APBA in Oct. 1980 at 70.560 mph with my stock Evinrude 75 on an Allison XR-14. Three of the four XR-14s made was eventually destroyed, it had bass boat chines and wouldn't turn. The EP-15 bass boat was molded off the XR-14. Darris sold Pedro's lightweight XR-14 (80 mph in NOA with Merc 850XS with under gearcase water pickup) for $4000 a few years ago.

Attached Images
    Thanks ClayT thanked for this post
    Likes crewman060, ClayT, racingfan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default October 1957

Here is the October 1957 edition

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oct 57

cont

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed reading about the 1957 World Championships at Sunset Lake Dale. It was almost 7 years later that we drove over to Sunset Lake just north of Corpus Christi to race in our third race. So far, I had only crossed the starting line at the first race we ever saw. The second race was in Mexico with a Mishey hydro and a Merc A Deflector. I blew the motor testing when I spun out in rough water and sucked in enough water to hydraulic the block and tower housing. This third race at Sunset Lake, we had a Merc B deflector that I never could get on a plane. Discovered later that there was a hole in the head of the top cylinder. As it turned out we were pitted right next to Freddie Goehl and Arlen Crouch. They had both moved from Quincy down to Bryan, Texas and opened up a marine store. They had those funny looking German engines we saw for the first time. Freddie ran a lot of classes and was winning just about everything. My Dad asked what kind of engines he had, and where he could buy some. Freddie told him he would sell him any of the engines he was running. My Dad said "I'm tired of buying this used s#!+. I want something that will run." So that's how we ended up with Konig and some top quality boats. Freddie and Arlen ordered us a brand new A/B DeSilva runabout and a used A/B Sid Craft, along with a new FA Konig and FB Konig. There were a number of drivers at that 1957 event that I eventually got to know and become friends with.

Thread Information