Thread: Clock vs LaMans start

Hybrid View

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, the difference between our British friends and us. The first time Douglas said to me he wanted to burn a fag, I almost crapped my self laughing. At that time the Word fag was unkind slang for a gay person and would raise the hair on some. So I tried to explain to Douglas what that meant here and we had a good laugh over it, but it didn’t change his words a bit as he still wanted to burn a fag. When in England and we were at a race for Nottingham, we stayed at a bed and breakfast place. These places as you know Wayne also had bars in them. Well being young and strapping as they say, we were drinking and I was chatting with the Bar maid who was a stunning redhead. She then asked what time she could knock me up! I damn near atomized a whole mouthful of bourbon on that one.
    Thanks crewman060 thanked for this post
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Steve-I could just see your face when the bar maid said that to you lol. This is a great thread with you, Wayne, and Ralph and your guys stories .

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a great thread guys, but because of the need to tell all the funny stories, we have high jacked Dales original question regarding when the switchover from clock to dock. I think we have covered part of that question as that it kind of took place over time. Now the question is did it ever become official that UIM World Championships were Le Mans, and no more clocks. That said, I think this is still a question to be answered, but all these stories need to be in a thread where we know to look for Pip Willey stories rather than a clock start. I have spent many hours trying to remember where I read something, and never to find it. It is there, but I can't remember where. Seems like I remember a thread about Douglas Willey when he passed away. That would be a good place to continue so we can find it again and add to it, but if you guys want to continue on here....that's okay. I will join you.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Don’t know if it is a rule even today, but due to a lot of venues, and the drivers opinions, they do all jetty start.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, The incident took place at the Atlanta airport, Douglas and Jane were on the way to Fort Myers for a visit with me and Shirley. It was the week before the UIM WC at Cypress Gardens in 1997 where we all went together. I believe that was the first time Rossi showed up with his three cylinder engine.
    I wondered if my story telling was in the right place, where should it be?

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the rest of the stories should be on the thread you started Ralph after Douglas passed away. That way anybody wanting to read about the stories will know how to find it. I know in 6 months I won't remember that I need to look at clock VS lemans start to find stories about Pip Willey, But I will remember to search for the thread with his name in it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good, everything new will be on the outboard history page.

Thread Information