Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clock vs LaMans start

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe I should do this in segments because there are a lot of different episodes.
    The first is that Steve and me had arranged to meet at the Atlanta airport for our flight to Europe. We are in line to check in and when they ask for my passport I don't have one, left it at home. We were supposed to meet Douglas Willey and Paul, I don't remember his last name, in Brussels for a ride to Grein, Austria. Of course I couldn't go, and Steve had never met Douglas, so he had to find Douglas in the Brussels airport and I had no way to tell Douglas about the problem. I told Steve to look for an old man with long hair down to his shoulders. Well, Steve did luckily see such a man and yelled Douglas and it was him and they went on to Grein. Douglas had great fun telling everyone about my stupidity. I had to catch a flight the next day to Brussels and rent a car to drive to Grein. Hans Krage brought our boats down from storage behind Dieter's shop. I will stop here for the next segment later.
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I believe I should do this in segments because there are a lot of different episodes.
    The first is that Steve and me had arranged to meet at the Atlanta airport for our flight to Europe. We are in line to check in and when they ask for my passport I don't have one, left it at home. We were supposed to meet Douglas Willey and Paul, I don't remember his last name, in Brussels for a ride to Grein, Austria. Of course I couldn't go, and Steve had never met Douglas, so he had to find Douglas in the Brussels airport and I had no way to tell Douglas about the problem. I told Steve to look for an old man with long hair down to his shoulders. Well, Steve did luckily see such a man and yelled Douglas and it was him and they went on to Grein. Douglas had great fun telling everyone about my stupidity. I had to catch a flight the next day to Brussels and rent a car to drive to Grein. Hans Krage brought our boats down from storage behind Dieter's shop. I will stop here for the next segment later.
    Because Ralph was not there, my only knowledge of Douglas is of what Ralph gave to me. Ralph left out that the Brussels airport is a very busy and crowded place, I mean crowded worse than Atlanta ever could be. I’m in a literal sea of people looking for a old guy with long gray hair. Keep in mind that there are literally thousands of people around, and I could not see for jack. What’s a southern boy to do? I look around and see some steps that will take me to the high ground. So up I go and I had a good view of the crowd. I spotted a guy that sorta looked as discribed and noticed he had a heavy orange OMC jacket on. Well hell, this had to be him, so down stairs I go toward this guy. I stop short and had a listen to what he was saying to another guy, ( this was Paul Brumberly Douglases bearer) and I put two and two together and said to him,Are you Douglas Willy? Well as some might remember, back then I was a pretty big boy with 22 inch arms. Douglas was shocked and jerked as he stepped back because of my stature and said , Yes, who the hell are you lad? I introduced myself and explained what had happened about Ralph and pass port, and his comment was, I’m shocked you Yanks won the war! To my shock I said, who the hell are you calling me a Yankee? Sir I’m a Southerner, not a Yankee. Well it was great times from there on. I will wait for Ralph to tell more about this. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I understand it is an UIM event but perhaps a better format might be 2 jetty starts and 2 clock starts ??

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racingfan1 View Post
    I understand it is an UIM event but perhaps a better format might be 2 jetty starts and 2 clock starts ??
    Nope! Either you are or not as I see it, kinda like I always say, you can’t be a little bit pregnant.
    Likes 1100r, crewman060 liked this post

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite Douglas Willey airport story was told to me by someone, but I can't remember who. Maybe Steve told it, and I thought it happened at the airport in San Francisco, but I could be wrong about that. Anyway, Douglas and his wife were on a long overseas flight after the time when smoking was no longer allowed on a plane. He was going crazy for a smoke and it was all his wife could do to keep him from sneaking into the bathroom to light one up. She finally convinced him that they would land soon, and he could smoke once they got into a terminal. It was later on that smoking became banned in one place after another, then final even in bars, but that was later. This terminal, however, banned smoking already. As soon as the plane stopped Douglas was ready to get inside the terminal for a smoke. He hurried out the gangway and was ready to fire up a cigarette when he found out he could not smoke in there either. He hollered out loud in exasperation for everyone to hear. "A fag...a fag....I got to have a fag!"

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, the difference between our British friends and us. The first time Douglas said to me he wanted to burn a fag, I almost crapped my self laughing. At that time the Word fag was unkind slang for a gay person and would raise the hair on some. So I tried to explain to Douglas what that meant here and we had a good laugh over it, but it didn’t change his words a bit as he still wanted to burn a fag. When in England and we were at a race for Nottingham, we stayed at a bed and breakfast place. These places as you know Wayne also had bars in them. Well being young and strapping as they say, we were drinking and I was chatting with the Bar maid who was a stunning redhead. She then asked what time she could knock me up! I damn near atomized a whole mouthful of bourbon on that one.
    Thanks crewman060 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Steve-I could just see your face when the bar maid said that to you lol. This is a great thread with you, Wayne, and Ralph and your guys stories .

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a great thread guys, but because of the need to tell all the funny stories, we have high jacked Dales original question regarding when the switchover from clock to dock. I think we have covered part of that question as that it kind of took place over time. Now the question is did it ever become official that UIM World Championships were Le Mans, and no more clocks. That said, I think this is still a question to be answered, but all these stories need to be in a thread where we know to look for Pip Willey stories rather than a clock start. I have spent many hours trying to remember where I read something, and never to find it. It is there, but I can't remember where. Seems like I remember a thread about Douglas Willey when he passed away. That would be a good place to continue so we can find it again and add to it, but if you guys want to continue on here....that's okay. I will join you.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Don’t know if it is a rule even today, but due to a lot of venues, and the drivers opinions, they do all jetty start.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, The incident took place at the Atlanta airport, Douglas and Jane were on the way to Fort Myers for a visit with me and Shirley. It was the week before the UIM WC at Cypress Gardens in 1997 where we all went together. I believe that was the first time Rossi showed up with his three cylinder engine.
    I wondered if my story telling was in the right place, where should it be?

Thread Information