Thread: Vintage B Class hydro

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vintage B Class hydro

Hello

Can any one identify this hydro, who built it looking up information think it maybe from the mid 1950's not sure appears as though the plans to build it where available at one time ? hard to find information on, looking all over for any plans to build it or something similar very close in design Any Name:  small-wood-hydro-plane-plans-1.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  38.4 KBhelp would be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a Champion kit boat to me. Made in California. I bought a AB Utility from them in kit form in 1952.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Actual Shape of the Hull, Looks Like It Could Be Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jon66w View Post
    Looks like a Champion kit boat to me. Made in California. I bought a AB Utility from them in kit form in 1952.
    The deck from the dash forward in not Champion. Champions flared out, this one tapers.

See my hand drawing and ad.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rapid 1 View Post
    Hello

Can any one identify this hydro, who built it looking up information think it maybe from the mid 1950's not sure appears as though the plans to build it where available at one time ? hard to find information on, looking all over for any plans to build it or something similar very close in design Any help would be appreciated
    It's a Challenger. George Stillwill from NJ started racing one he built for ASH. Vert fast until he blew it over at Millville, NJ then he started racing Sids & won a National Championship in 1961 at Guntersville, AL
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to build something very similar, possibly try Ed Karelsen in Seattle who used to, long ago, sell an A/BSH hydro kit that might have been close enough for you. Whether he has and can sell you plans for the kit boat, I don't know. If you're interested, I'll try to reach him and find out. Others may suggest you look at the Clark Craft plans for Hal Kelly's old "Wetback" hydro. That one looks less like the boat in your photo, but if you have a good ability to modify the plans, you might be interested. Clark Craft also sells the plans for Hal Kelly's "Jupiter" hydro, which is a bit different from the boat in the photo but does have an old-timey look that you might like. Someone else here might have better suggestions. If you just wanted to build yourself a good small hydro, and don't have your heart set on reproducing that one, there are some more modern designs available that may be just as fun to build and will give you a competitive boat if you decide you might want to race it . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    If you want to build something very similar, possibly try Ed Karelsen in Seattle who used to, long ago, sell an A/BSH hydro kit that might have been close enough for you. Whether he has and can sell you plans for the kit boat, I don't know. If you're interested, I'll try to reach him and find out. Others may suggest you look at the Clark Craft plans for Hal Kelly's old "Wetback" hydro. That one looks less like the boat in your photo, but if you have a good ability to modify the plans, you might be interested. Clark Craft also sells the plans for Hal Kelly's "Jupiter" hydro, which is a bit different from the boat in the photo but does have an old-timey look that you might like. Someone else here might have better suggestions. If you just wanted to build yourself a good small hydro, and don't have your heart set on reproducing that one, there are some more modern designs available that may be just as fun to build and will give you a competitive boat if you decide you might want to race it . . .
    If he goes with the Clark Craft Wetback or Jupiter and buys their frame and plywood kit they use fir or pine plywood and the boats are too heavy and those plywood's require glassing to keep the grain checking at bay. Should use the preferred Okume plywood. If just the plans are purchased then wood selection is his.
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Post Thanks / Like

zul8tr makes a good point about the plywood, Rapid 1. Build a boat like the one in the photo out of ordinary marine grade fir or fir-core/mahogany face plywood and it will be ten pounds heavier than if you build it of Okoume. Glassing the whole bottom would add another unwanted 5 lbs. Say where you are and people here can come up with a source for the good raceboat wood.

zul8tr, when I was in high school and starting to build my first boat, a "Jupiter," I went to Architectural Woods in Tacoma, WA, and got 1/8" and 1/4" sheets of the most gorgeous mahogany-both-faces fir-core plywood you ever saw. When I was done building, my dad, who had some skill with fiberglass, put a layer of glass on the bottom from bow to stern, figuring (neither of us knew a thing at this point) that a "glass-smooth" bottom would be the fastest. As a final error, I made a big skidfin from a sheet of 1/8 aluminum and screwed it to the inside of the left sponson, exactly as Hal Kelly had shown it in his well-drawn but already obsolete plans. You can imagine how well that poor boat, weighing over 130 lbs., empty, fared against the 105-115 lb. Sids and Karelsens and Marchettis (with their sponson mounted fins) in 1965. But it was a very pretty boat! That's it on the left, c. 1965, the first day I had it out (with a totally inappropriate prop, too much pitch and diameter for the 1:1 gears AND buried, the engine right down on the transom with no shims, LOL). I wish I had a good color photo of it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone
    Thank you for all your input and your offer zul8tr, I may take you up on the prospect of possible plans for the Karelsens kneeler I think I found a pic of the hydro ! As of now I may have some leeway on a set of plans being developed not sure ? with all my research on this topic I gather not many of the designer / builders allowed there plans for sale one edge over the competition alway formulas tested and proven to be kept a secret just though maybe after all this time a few of the tops in designers of the vintage era other than Clark Craft, and Glen L, might just materialize ?

Post Thanks / Like

If you didn't know this the Clark Craft Wetback and Jupiter were designed by racer/builder Hal Kelly as were some other race boats from CC. As for other designers of the vintage era chances are slim that plans will materialize. Most of the vintage designers/builders had simple lofting lines on pieces of paper or plywood, that's all they needed since they knew what they wanted to build and how. I noticed no plans just some wood patterns for certain pieces when I visited Harry Pinner's race boat shop back in the 1970's. hal Kelly did full plans because he was in the business of making money with all the areas he delved other than boat racing. If you want Karelsen plans best you might do is getting dimensions from a real saved hull then figure or get info how it was constructed. For example I have a 1982 Ed Karelsen pickle hydro specifically designed for the 25ss hydro class. I can be pretty sure the next one he built for that class was different in some way than the model I have that's what the designer/builders did. They might look similar but they are different, like tires they are all round looking but different. If you want dimensions off my Karelsen glad to provide, it will run with the Merc 25ss, Mark 20H standard or conversion 20H, Champ Hot Rod and some others and it is a mid 60's mph runner with the 25ss.
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Likes crewman060 liked this post

Thread Information