cont3
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default november 1976

cont4

Post Thanks / Like

Default December 1976

Here is the December 1976 edition , near the end is a recap of the World Championships from Fort Buhlow Lake and a special insert on election results and rule changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default December 1976

cont

Post Thanks / Like

Default December 1976

cont1

Post Thanks / Like

Default December 1976

cont2

Post Thanks / Like

Default December 1976

cont3

Post Thanks / Like

Default December 1976

cont4

Post Thanks / Like

Default December 1976

cont5 Here is the special insert from the December issue , the first two pages are in reverse order but the rest is correct.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We had mostly a good year in 1976. Started out great then kind of disappointed toward the end. We won the UIM OD World Championships in Phoenix, set an APBA kilo record and UIM OD World Record at Kaukauna with an untested boat and competition setup. Won some Eastern and Western Divisional championships. First disappointment was failing to win the 725 APBA Nationals at Winona. I was previously qualified, but it probably would have been better if I had had to run a qualifying heat. Then we might have qualified and found out what turned out to be a problem with our motor. We tested it, but did not race it. It was hard to start and when I tried to get on a plane, it was not hitting, I turned back to the pits and a chain of other pit crews swam and pulled me back to the pits, but it would not start in time to clear out and try to make the heat.

I did win the 250 nationals, but probably the most fun was 1100 hydro. I was running Marshall Grant's old 2 rotary valve F and I got a good start. Going down the back straight I was right up to the steering wheel and hunkered down low. From the pits, if you look at Sugarloaf in the distance (a piece of mountain that stuck up into the sky), the part of the race course in line from the pits to Sugarloaf on the back straight was where all the blowovers took place. I had a very big lead coming out of the first turn, and normally would have backed off, but this was a surveyed mile and a quarter course, so I was going for the record, and as such, needed to be right up on the steering wheel and down low. As I started to back off to set up for the turn I found I could not do so. The loop on the left hand side of my Gentex holding the collar in place had slipped over the throttle and pipe lever. I could not back off the throttle or let off the pipes. I could not turn loose the steering wheel to pull the loop loose. I tried lifting up, but with the loop caught, I was stuck. I tried to move forward and up a little bit, but that didn't work either. Finally I thought I had to break the loop, (which I don't think was possible), so I jerked forward and up very hard to break it, and the loop just slipped off the throttle. Luckily Shadowfax remained stable and I immediately backed off and made a hard left hand turn after overshooting the turn buoys by fifty or sixty yards. I was still in the lead and continued to push Shadowfax, but this time I made sure to keep my life jacket collar away from the throttle. I ended up setting the record, and was the first outboard of all makes, models, and displacement to break 80 mph on a mile and a quarter course. Unfortunately when Baldy cranked the motor for the start of the second heat, a rotary valve belt broke. Only a couple of times before we had a rotary valve break on that motor and it was always when we started it. So no national championship, but we got a good record. Don't know what it might have been if I didn't overshoot the bottom turn on the first lap.

We blew some lower units at Alex, then we went to Yelm. No testing, so no way to get a good set up prior to the race. I messed up on the start of 1100 hydro because I could not see the hand moving, and went back around only to find it was a pie type clock where there was no hand.....the white got smaller and smaller until the face was black at the start. So I was a quarter of the field behind when I crossed the start. I won the race and set a new 1100 hydro record at 90.817. My first lap was in the 80's because of the start my last lap was 96mph and I could not run wide open because I was fighting to keep the boat on the water. We made some adjustment for the next heat, but blew the lower unit going into the turn at the beginning of the next heat. So we had a good year overall, but some major disappointment too with the 725 Nationals. After missing most of 1975 due to an accident, we did around 30,000 miles going to Phoenix, the Texas races, West Berlin, Germany, Gadsden, Alabama, Kaukauna, Wisconsin, Valleyfield Canada, Winona, Minnesota, Alexandria, Louisiana and Yelm, Washington.

Thread Information