Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with OMC test facility

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with OMC test facility

I have a 67 gold and white Switzer Shooting Star that came from an OMC test site. Bruce Summers saw the boat and thought the transom holes matched the OMC 200 hp motor they came out with. The bill of sale is signed by Jack Leek for OMC engineering. Does anyone know how I can get any info on this boat? Some test data or pictures would really be great.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe

Bob Switzer

switzercraft@msn.com

Good luck

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default switzer

let me know if you still need help .i can talk to an old omc factory head.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Use To Talk To Them Too!!!

I use to talk,talk and talk..but no one listened!!!!

I'd bet that was a Switzer the Chuck Kalb drove in Sport I about 1967.....Seems I recall him running that boat...when I ran Sport I with a DeSilva...

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Rite On Ron"

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    I use to talk,talk and talk..but no one listened!!!!

I'd bet that was a Switzer the Chuck Kalb drove in Sport I about 1967.....Seems I recall him running that boat...when I ran Sport I with a DeSilva...
    That's the one! We were at the annual antique otbd meet at Tomahawk, Wis. and there it was. It looked great. Chuck ran it at a bunch of races and Rich McKinley set a straightaway record with it at Toano Va. about 66or67. He upped the record 2 or 3 times. Each run he would slide lower in the seat. On the last run you could only see the top half of his helmet. As far as any paper work at the test center I doubt if there was any. They might have had a bill of sale when bought or sold but the guy I talked with had that I think. Was that you Switzer Bullet?

Bruce Summers
    V-71

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1967 Toano, Va Kilos - 9/30/67

I was in Toano, VA that weekend in 1967.

Chuck Kalb was involved with two boats that day.

He drove a 1967 Allsion 16' V Bottom (new model in 1967) with a Jonhson GT 115 to a FI kilo record of 66.458. Boat # I-37. Paul Kalb was listed as the owner of the boat.

They also had a fiberglass Switzer Shooting Star (year unknown to me) with a Johnson GT 115 which set the SI Kilo record at 77.025. Richard McKinley was listed as the driver with Chuck Kalb being the owner. Boat #I-33.

I ran a 1967 Allison 16' V Bottom (same as Chuck's) with an 800 DR in FH and set the FH kilo record at 54.393. Used the same combination to raise the record to to 56.38 in 1968.

All were recognized as UIM records.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ted March; 11-14-2005 at 04:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi Bruce

That's the boat I talked to you about at the boat show. I was hoping to find an old picture or a little information on it. I just came up with an early 70's merc 150 so it will be in the water this spring.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default I-33

Thanks Ted
    The boat still has I-33 on its side. I wonder what was the biggest motor they put on it? Ted, when you have time could you e-mail that page to me? It doesnt print well off the site. Thanks
    switzerbullet@aol.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Toano Va.--Chuck Kalb

Quote Originally Posted by Ted March
    Chuck Kalb was involved with two boats that day.

He drove a 1967 Allsion 16' V Bottom (new model in 1967) with a Jonhson GT 115 to a FI kilo record of 66.458. Boat # I-37 listed as being owned by Paul Kalb.

They also had a fiberglass Switzer Shooting Star (year unknown) with a Johnson GT 115 which set the SI Kilo record at 77.025. Richard McKinley was listed as the driver with Chuck Kalb being the owner. Boat #I-33.

I ran a 1967 Allison 16' V Bottom (same as Chuck's) with an 800 DR in FH and set the FH kilo record at 54.393. Used the same combo to raise the record to to 56.38 in 1968.

All were recognized as UIM records.
    Ted:
    Chuck Kalb was involved with 3 boats. Joe Haby was supposed to run the twin engine JJ class[?] but had previous commitments so he gave Chuck a quickie course in controling a twin engine pad boat,no easy task [without counter rotating engines]. The first few runs Chuck made it chine walk so bad the referee was going to black flag him. Paul Kalb managed to get the ref. to let him try again and by about the third run he kept her on the water and set a record [2 lines below your last yellow hilite]. Joe was a master with the twins and could mak'em go straight as an arrow. I saw Joe at a previous[1 before last] OMC reunion.

Bruce Summers
    V-71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by switzerbullet
    Thanks Ted
    The boat still has I-33 on its side. I wonder what was the biggest motor they put on it? Ted, when you have time could you e-mail that page to me? It doesnt print well off the site. Thanks
    switzerbullet@aol.com
    Try these versions:

The top one is easy to read, the bottom one will fit on a printed page better

I'm going to delete or massively resize them in a few days, so download now!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark75H; 11-14-2005 at 07:17 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information