Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Neal racer

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Neal racer

Anyone recognize this nice old original shape Neal I just barn found? Any idea how old it is? What size motor would be properly put on this hydro?is e10 the class it was raced in? I’m new to all this.does one put plugs in the back before use or leave open to drain?i couldn’t find a hull number any idea if they had them and where to look. Thanks for your looking it all over.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by Moses on water; 02-10-2018 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Found another nice picture

oldalkydriver

It looks like an old 'c' class. PR's or Hubble. It could be late 40's or early fifties. Too heavy for anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

The plugs stay in when on the water they are pulled when on land to drain accumulated water. Those planked bottom hydros did leak until the wood swelled some and were a constant maintenance to keep the bottom rear flat. What does it weigh, how long from front tip to rear bottom, from back of sponsons to rear bottom and width of flat rear bottom?
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for helping to educate me in hydroplane.the total length of the boat is 8’8”.the length from the back of the sponsons to rear back is 50”. The width at the back is 33”.please pardon the blasphemous 2 holes in the top. Before I found it the barn it was stored in had rats that made a home with in and out hole in the sponson. They have been evicted permanently.i hope to do some repairs and put what you guys tell me is the proper motor on it, and bring it to some meets sometime before my wife kills me for buying it.i also was able to get me to issue me a title for it to legally use on the water between meets. They put unknown on the title for the year.but I got it and numbers!i believe it weighs about 80 lbs.
    Last edited by Moses on water; 02-11-2018 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Forgot weight

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot an important dimension the vertical distance from the rear bottom planning surface to the outside (rearward) top corner edge of the transom motor board. At 8'- 8" that is a small boat and with a 50" afterplane that is a short boat. At 80 lbs that seems to light for plank construction, would you weigh it and what is your weight (if you don't mind?). Then can get into engines.

When you get to working on the bottom run a 3 or 4 ft straight edge long ways from the rear bottom edge forward at several cross ways ward forward locations and cross ways at the rear planning area at several forward locations. Need to see how flat the rear planning area is for the last 3 to 4 ft.

The rear sponson rat nibbles and other small dents gouges etc can be filled with thickened epoxy ( I use cabosil as the thickner). The deck holes need a ducthman wood patch to preserve the original deck contour. These planked bottom racers were typically clear varnished on the bottom and sides since they required regular attention to keep the bottom flat and varnish was a quick sealer. I would not epoxy coat the bottom with the planks that move somewhat and the epoxy will crack at the seams that look like they are caulked.
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Likes crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oldalkydriver: Your dad Had A "C" Neal???

Quote Originally Posted by oldalkydriver View Post
    It looks like an old 'c' class. PR's or Hubble. It could be late 40's or early fifties. Too heavy for anything else.
    I didn't see a motor? A PR or Hubbell are motors, and I knows Oldalkydriver knows that. There was only one Hubbell "C" that was built with 100% Hubbell parts. My dad built it for Ed Kurakowa of Selma. Ed also had a 6042 "Six Stud" of "HEX HEAD" Evinrude. Ed bought the "SIX STUD" from Fred Hauenstein Sr. in 1953. For some reason Ed wanted to give me the motor rather than sell it back to the Hauenstein's. I made Ed take $1,000 for the motor, then resold it to Fred Hauenstein, Jr. for the same price.

Ed still had the Hubbell "C" and was going to give that to his son. But I think someone stole it, as it was offered to me via e-mail and I asked if the emailer was Ed's son. Never hear another word.

I NEVER SAW AN OFF SET FIN ON A NEAL. In 1956, Lee Morehouse who built my "A" Runabout said he off set his fin on his "D" Runabout and picked up speed. We didn't try it on my "A" until after the 1956 Nationals, but we gained a full MPH. The fin disturbs the water in front of the propeller. We never ran a center fin again!

As far as the plank bottom, my brother was told, and we always did it, but between each plank, you were supposed to run a hacksaw blade. This allowed a little air under the boat, also supposedly made the boat go straighter down the straight away.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The rear transom height is 14”. The weight without the rats is 121.8lbs. Believe it or not the 4’ straightedge at all angles from the back is darn flat!the worst part of the whole measuring process is me at 290 lbs 6’2” tall!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It didn’t come with a motor Ron, I wish it did. The fin looks like it’s been in that position for a long time. I’ll recheck the bottom about grooves between the boards, but they looked pretty tight dry.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is a ducthman patch?would a polyurethane varnish be the proper type of varnish?

oldalkydriver

It is called 'old age' Ron. I meant that it took a 'PR', Johnson-Evenrude, or Hubble 'C' to push it. When my dad got a 'De Silva', I tried to hang an 'SR' 'B' engine on his old Neal. Could never get it to plane. My first 'A' was Johnny Drakes old modified Fillinger. Then I got Elmo B's 'A' Fillinager, a 'B' that looked alot like a Neal, but was plywood. It is the one I thought Dad let you drive in Phoenix. Then I finally got Dad's old De Silva (Hap Sharps old cut off). That was the best riding boat I ever drove. It took me a few years, but I finally realized that I could handle a runabout easier then a hydro. But after Nam, my left leg wouldn't bend too good and I slowly just got out of racing.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Thread Information