Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Neal racer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moses on water View Post
    What is a ducthman patch?would a polyurethane varnish be the proper type of varnish?
    A dutchman patch is a means to repair a damaged area while preserving the original contour by first cutting out the damage to any shape desired and trial fitting a new piece to fit the cutout. With what looks like thin wood on the Neal deck (what is the deck wood?) after you cut the dutchman shape you will need to put pieces underside the cut out to support the new patch piece. I use epoxy glue to secure underside support pieces and the patch without fasteners for clear finish. Attached are some pics of a dutchman patch repair I did on the 4mm Ocume plywood deck of my hydro:

#1 cut out made of damaged area, shaped picked to minimize removal of good wood
    #2 underside support pieces in place
    #3 patch piece in place (no fasteners) and pressed with pads on wax paper using spring sticks from ceiling
    #4 sanded flush and ready for clear coat

In this case the deck is bright finished with gloss varnish so same type wood used. In your case since you will probably match the red color grain type patch not critical but the fit is.

For varnish I have tried many high priced brands through the years like Pettit, Interlux,etc but I find Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane Gloss Exterior works well for these race boats that are not sitting out all the time. Dries well for sand and coat each day, can be buffed out. Varnish finish and buffing tips available just ask. Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane available at Walmart, $16/quart about 1/2 the cost of the others.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Post Thanks / Like

The rear transom height is 14”. The weight without the rats is 121.8lbs. Believe it or not the 4’ straightedge at all angles from the back is darn flat!the worst part of the whole measuring process is me at 290 lbs 6’2” tall!
    Great on being flat. That is a heavy boat for the size and you at 290 respectfully might find it has a performance handicap. These race boats are sensitive to weight and its location. However still a great project to work on and get on the water for fun.
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your kind words. It’s gonna take a lot of starving to get me to race weight. So fun is what’s its all about for me, but I do have a slimmer partner in speed, my son, 6’2 200 lbs,that what to drive. We also have an old Bruce borquinn 1970s tunnel boat that we enjoy.it has an old 50 merc 3cylinder to fly with.Name:  5884629C-0E46-4422-A6B5-19B5E2B57CF2.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  274.6 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A dutchman repair involves cutting out a rectangle around the damage and gluing a tight fitting patch in place. I only used this in solid woods where the patch is beveled on all four edges, glued then set in place with a mallet. The patch was then planed flush with the rest of the surface after the glue set.

Boat repair, when someone ran into me ( I never ran into them ) is similar but uses square edges. A backer piece larger than the hole is glued inside . A small wire is threaded through two small holes in the backer and twisted around a stick on the outside to pull the backer in place. Once everything sets the patch is glued to the backer. Remember to align the wood grain correctly: don't ask me how I know this.

I had trouble patching a 1978 Bezoat until I asked Craig why. He used West and I was trying to get wood glue to stick. It didn't. When I used epoxy evertything went well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your kind words. It’s gonna take a lot of starving to get me to race weight. So fun is what’s its all about for me, but I do have a slimmer partner in speed, my son, 6’2 200 lbs,that what to drive. We also have an old Bruce borquinn 1970s tunnel boat that we enjoy.it has an old 50 merc 3cylinder to fly with.Name:  5884629C-0E46-4422-A6B5-19B5E2B57CF2.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  274.6 KB
    Your welcome

About at 6am this day I posted about a Dutchman patch with pics how I did it on the thin 4mm plywood deck of my hydro. Also described the varnish I use which is Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane gloss . When I tried to post it the message was the administrator has to review it? Sent a PM to Ron Hill to free it.

Nice tunnel boat what engine do you run on it?

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

What is the preferred varnish to use on the bottom of the hydro?ive used minwax polyurethane on raw oak floors. Is there something better? I can fill all small stuff with thickened epoxy as suggested, but what do you mean by a ducthman patch for the topside?heres a nice picture of our chase Boat a 1965 searay, with sharp helper! Notice the glass water that’s what it’s all about!Attachment 65031

Skip the polyurethane used on floors, it is labeled for interior use on the can and will not be good for that race boat.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I look forward to patching

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dutchman Patch

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    Your welcome

About at 6am this day I posted about a Dutchman patch with pics how I did it on the thin 4mm plywood deck of my hydro. Also described the varnish I use which is Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane gloss . When I tried to post it the message was the administrator has to review it? Sent a PM to Ron Hill to free it.

Nice tunnel boat what engine do you run on it?

Ron has yet to free up my earlier post so I tried again

Pete
    Here is a Dutchman patch I did on the 4mm Okume deck of my hydro.

#1 is cut out the bad area, shape of cut to suit
    #2 provide support for the Dutchman patch, I preferred just strips epoxy glued.
    #3 cut out Dutchman patch to fit. I made a paper pattern and transferred it to the same plywood and cut patch a bit larger and trimmed to fit. Glued and used wax paper to allow removal of wood pieces for ceiling spring clamps to apply pressure, no fasteners wanted.
    #4 sanded level ready for clear coat, I use Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane (Walmart), through the years tried the expensive ones like Pettit, Interlux, etc the Minwax works well for these boats that are stored in garage when not in use. It can be buffed to removed dust buggers when air dried very well.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

tried 20 johnson too slow with the big boy on board now 50 2 stroke 3cyl merc . wife is out buying life policy before im allowed.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So now we know what she weighs and what size she is . What would be the period correct motor to run on her? Kg7h or Mark 20h? With the 14” transom would they be sufficient?any other motors come to mind?could u put something newer? Are they available in short enough shaft to work properly, guess you’d have to have remote gas tank for newer?

Thread Information