Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Neal racer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moses on water View Post
    So now we know what she weighs and what size she is . What would be the period correct motor to run on her? Kg7h or Mark 20h? With the 14” transom would they be sufficient?any other motors come to mind?could u put something newer? Are they available in short enough shaft to work properly, guess you’d have to have remote gas tank for newer?
    With a short boat 8'-8" it is limited on the engine that will work. You mention KG7H (1952 - 1953) and 20H (1954 -1956), 20H more expensive of the two. The KG7H being older would be the better choice for the period but not much power for the weights noted previously (Ex: 122 boat + 290 you or 200 son + 80 eng + 15 (1 gal gas, jacket, helmet) = 507 or 417 Lbs. With a 14" transom that is very short for a KG7H and 20H to be at their best, they work at 16"+ with proper set up, weight, prop, etc. Also these are very old engines and needed great care through the years and to find one in good shape requires a decent search.

Not familiar with the older pre 1952 engines that were used on these Neals that might be more period correct.

Does it have to be period correct to have fun or will it be a display?
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Your boat may have been built before there was a Stock division for hydroplanes. In the mid 50's, a B racing hydro ( google Hubble Sorenson Hybrid ) was 10 feet long.

The correct period engine might be an Evinrude KR55 for A racing. Google Boatsport.org , click on BoatSport and look at May 1955 page 9 and June 1953 page 16.

There is little information ( I can find ) about boats of this era. If you find and post stuff things will be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dutchman Patch

Finally got the computer to cooperate with uploading pics that failed yesterday, Ron Hill helped, thanks. Here are the Dutchman patch pics I did on my 4mm ocume hydro deck.

Pics came out of order even though I entered from last to first, go figure, Grrrr!

Step 1, 4th pic - cut out damaged area, shape to suit damaged area. I have seen hearts, diamonds, many crazy shapes used for fun.

Step 2, 3rd pic - install under side patch support. I used strips rather than a solid piece, glued with epoxy

Step 3, 1st pic -patch cut to fit, glued with epoxy and pressed in place with wood spring clamps from ceiling, I did not want fasteners of any kind. Dutchman patch made from a paper templet and traced to wood and cut slightly oversize then final fit edges with sanding block. Wax paper to prevent attachment to pressure pieces of wood.

Step 4, 2nd pic - Sanded flush and ready for clear coat or color as desired.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks good. Thanks for the pictures and how you did it. I understand the GRRR, but I did the same thing myself. You need to think backwards now and post the last picture that you want to go with your narrative first and end up with the beginning. It's kind of messed up to do it that way, but believe me......posting pictures now is a breeze...like it use to be. I don't know when this new change came about, but I went for a couple of years without posting pictures. In fact, quit the stories I was working on. So it easy now if you remember to download the pictures backwards from what you want to say.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Like confusuch say 4 pictures worth a thousand words totally awesome thank you very much for sharing your expertise to keep my very cool ol Boat together, and those articles in the mag reprints about dick Neal are GOLD!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just for grins and fun reading, Google (or DuckDuckGo if you're mad at Google) FAA.Gov AC 43.13-1A. It's a handbook (Advisory Circular 43.13-1A, Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices--Aircraft Inspection and Repair) on how to do major alterations and repairs on aircraft. The handbook has been around since, I think, the 1950s, so it includes wood and fabric repairs, as well as fiberglass, plastics, and metal. It was updated not too long ago (maybe 15 or 20 years?) to include composites, avionics and human factors. In the old days, during the practical portion of the exam to get an A&P license, you might have to build a rib or made a patch, along with a bunch of other stuff. But the "Dutchman Patch" pictures were great and cut to the chase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
    Just for grins and fun reading, Google (or DuckDuckGo if you're mad at Google) FAA.Gov AC 43.13-1A. It's a handbook (Advisory Circular 43.13-1A, Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices--Aircraft Inspection and Repair) on how to do major alterations and repairs on aircraft. The handbook has been around since, I think, the 1950s, so it includes wood and fabric repairs, as well as fiberglass, plastics, and metal. It was updated not too long ago (maybe 15 or 20 years?) to include composites, avionics and human factors. In the old days, during the practical portion of the exam to get an A&P license, you might have to build a rib or made a patch, along with a bunch of other stuff. But the "Dutchman Patch" pictures were great and cut to the chase.
    My Google search, not available for a read just purchase

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Huh. Weird. I can get it. Try this:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli....cfm/.../99861

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, that didn't work (I had to back out and get back in to check it), but if you Google "faa.gov ac 43.13-1b", the first two listings will get you to the manual, and the second listing (PDF) will take you directly to it. The government only charges for hardcopy (Amazon will charge for anything).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
    Well, that didn't work (I had to back out and get back in to check it), but if you Google "faa.gov ac 43.13-1b", the first two listings will get you to the manual, and the second listing (PDF) will take you directly to it. The government only charges for hardcopy (Amazon will charge for anything).
    Did that earlier and NADA just did it again and WALA will review it, TKS

Thread Information