Thread: Steering

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Steering

Hey guys, Looking to see what you all are running for steering set ups in your v hulls. I have a short shaft 75 Johnson. (No trim). As of now I have decide not to do the Yamaha pro 50 route. My Johnson is a 49ci motor. Any suggestions on what to use? Pulley steering? Should I use wing plates? It’s going on a 14’ invader. It will be pretty light.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Members here who currently race a combination like yours are mostly in a regional Canadian racing club... Try over on their section and find their website & facebook page for much faster replies:

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ards-and-VP-75
    Likes 14Invader liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Are you building a raceboat or pleasure boat? single inline seat? I race a Delta so I have cable and pulley steering with wingplates i would guess its the most precise and most control . ive never driven a single cable setup but i have saw a few boats racing with it

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had both single and dual ride guide set ups on my hydrostreams. to be honest, a single steer, set up properly does fine for me on a 15 foot with an inline 6 or a bubble back running mid 70s. I know it is not the best set up for safety, but I would bet that you are statistically safer doing 75 mph in a single steer boat than doing 100 in a dual steer boat, and nobody gives the 100 mph guys too much guff about it. I have an extra dual rotary stearing system out of a dynatrak ebbtide 17 foot that you can have for a song if you want it. it is a true dual system. part of my thing with liking the single is a simple issue of weight. if you have a minimal cubic inch set-up anyway, the addition of a hydraulic, or even manual jackplate, dual steering, and so on, can pretty easily tack on 50 extra pounds. you can work around a 50 pound gain when you are running a 2.5, but when you are running these smaller motors, especially the 49 and 56 inch omc motors, 50 pounds is huge. just my two cents. thanks
    Likes 14Invader liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m leaning on center seat but not positive. It will be for pleasure but having as much fun going as fast as I can

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I’m used the running a 2.4 mercy so the smaller engines are relatively new to me. My biggest issue is how to hook up the steering setup when there is no tilt tube. I’m guessing wingplates? If so, then I would need a pulley cable set up?

Quote Originally Posted by PIP View Post
    I have had both single and dual ride guide set ups on my hydrostreams. to be honest, a single steer, set up properly does fine for me on a 15 foot with an inline 6 or a bubble back running mid 70s. I know it is not the best set up for safety, but I would bet that you are statistically safer doing 75 mph in a single steer boat than doing 100 in a dual steer boat, and nobody gives the 100 mph guys too much guff about it. I have an extra dual rotary stearing system out of a dynatrak ebbtide 17 foot that you can have for a song if you want it. it is a true dual system. part of my thing with liking the single is a simple issue of weight. if you have a minimal cubic inch set-up anyway, the addition of a hydraulic, or even manual jackplate, dual steering, and so on, can pretty easily tack on 50 extra pounds. you can work around a 50 pound gain when you are running a 2.5, but when you are running these smaller motors, especially the 49 and 56 inch omc motors, 50 pounds is huge. just my two cents. thanks

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah, but they do make systems that bolt the end of the cable to the boat, within the splashwell area, and then the cable end attaches to the front of the motor. I would google "attaching boat steering cable without pivot tube" and you will see what it on the market. first time I saw this set up was on a guys boston whaler with a little 50hp on it. it looks professional, just different. wing plates are better, yet. again on something that isn't doing 80mph I would consider the options out there. thanks
    Thanks 14Invader thanked for this post

Thread Information