Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Thank You Very Much

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank You Very Much

I wish to thank you for allowing me to join this forum.

My name is Rick Johnson and i manage the Memphis Racing History Facebook page.

I have a little insight on many forms of Memphis area racing but am a little weak when it comes to boat racing.

I have noticed through my searches that this forum has some materials on the Haines family and their contributions to the history of racing in Memphis.

I remember hearing about racing n Kilowatt lake but do not have much historical background having to do with the venue.

Am here searching for more background information on boat racing in the Memphis area. Both on kilowatt lake and the river. And any other venues that have been used.

Part of the Facebook page is a listing of all the venues which have been used for motorsports in and around Memphis.

Would appreciate if someone with more knowledge of boat racing than i would examine the list and add any venues i may have left off the list.

Would also appreciate if you would share any pictures, videos, stories and other items with the group.

Many of the legends in Memphis racing i grew up watching have been lost over the last few years.

And i am wanting to document as much Memphis Racing History as possible on the page so future generations will have access to that history.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In 1970 we raced on a lake near Memphis called Lakeland or Lake Land. There was an amusement park to the left of the pits and an elevated tram we could see carrying people. I found some info about this race on the internet several years ago. Marshall Grant, bass player for Johnny Cash was the guy behind organizing this race. It was a Pro race with most of the top drivers in the country attending. I think they were all from the Midwest though, and lacked the top guys from each coast. Let me know if you aren't familiar with this race and want some info. I have a little bit. I'm not sure if Kilowatt Lake is the same place, but the name somehow rings a bell.

Likes crewman060 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    In 1970 we raced on a lake near Memphis called Lakeland or Lake Land. There was an amusement park to the left of the pits and an elevated tram we could see carrying people. I found some info about this race on the internet several years ago. Marshall Grant, bass player for Johnny Cash was the guy behind organizing this race. It was a Pro race with most of the top drivers in the country attending. I think they were all from the Midwest though, and lacked the top guys from each coast. Let me know if you aren't familiar with this race and want some info. I have a little bit. I'm not sure if Kilowatt Lake is the same place, but the name somehow rings a bell.
    Thank You So Much.

Will add Garner Lake/Lakelandlake to the list of venues.

Would love to have someone who has any materials on this event would share them.. Again Thank You. The lake was a part of Lakeland Amusement Park and had a riverboat ride on the lake.

Kilowatt Lake was off N. McLean between 240 and Chelsea in Memphis. A former gravel pit which was flooded to create the lake.
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Last week a BING search brought me to this site when i found a picture of Ms Kilowatt online. Thank to this site i now know of another venue and have been introduced to Marshall Grant and his boats "Ring Of Fire" and Boy Named Sue".

Thanks again for your help.

Thread Information