Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fast fred building engines still? Engine options for my 13' Boat

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fast fred building engines still? Engine options for my 13' Boat

Hello everyone. I'm in the process of rebuilding/recoring a Bullet 130 13' mini boat. These boats from what i have read respond best to 15" mids with as little setback as possible. Im trying to figure out what to repower it with. I like the fact that the MERC formula race comes with a 15" mid from the factory but the no warranty is scaring me. Is there a 15" mid that would bolt up to the regular merc 60? Is there a good selection of props for this engine? What about an etec 60? is there a 15" mid for that? props? I know most people will say 2 stroke. Is FAST FRED still building engines? i have tried to PM him but his inbox is full. whats the process, most people run stock omc 3 cyl on these boats with 15" mid and as little setback as possible. What kind of hp are you guessing you get out of them modded 3 cyl or even a 2 cyl? lighter the better and a 15" mid would be best. How reliable are the modified engines?
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi!
    Nice looking boat, I like the shape of the deck. What is the weight of that boat?
    The short shaft Mercury 60 is a good engine, I have one on my F4 boat. You get good props for it from Dewald, Mercury, Ron Hill, And LAK-propellers in Estonia. Otherwise same props as on Yamaha CES, older Mercs, Short shaft johnsons/Evinruder suits the engine.
    It has the "same" gearcase as the most 40-75 hp short shaft engines, in Yamaha terms, the G-shaft.

I think the midsection on the short 60 is the same as on the short 40hp, with the 60 hp(obviously) power unit and gearcase.

the "no Warranty" thing has to do with the fact that it is sold by mercury racing in first hand as an racing outboard and thereby it doesn't have warranty.
    I have driven with my now about 1000 hours and it's still as new, even if i have had it for racing. correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it would be a good alternative to the old 2-strokes, not that much heavier, and quite mintenance-free. AND MODERN TECHNOLOGY

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lukujohnson View Post
    Hi!
    Nice looking boat, I like the shape of the deck. What is the weight of that boat?
    The short shaft Mercury 60 is a good engine, I have one on my F4 boat. You get good props for it from Dewald, Mercury, Ron Hill, And LAK-propellers in Estonia. Otherwise same props as on Yamaha CES, older Mercs, Short shaft johnsons/Evinruder suits the engine.
    It has the "same" gearcase as the most 40-75 hp short shaft engines, in Yamaha terms, the G-shaft.

I think the midsection on the short 60 is the same as on the short 40hp, with the 60 hp(obviously) power unit and gearcase.

the "no Warranty" thing has to do with the fact that it is sold by mercury racing in first hand as an racing outboard and thereby it doesn't have warranty.
    I have driven with my now about 1000 hours and it's still as new, even if i have had it for racing. correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it would be a good alternative to the old 2-strokes, not that much heavier, and quite mintenance-free. AND MODERN TECHNOLOGY

Thanks for the info, Boat should be less than 300lbs after itrs all built back up i want to say in the 275 range.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn but that sure looks like my homemade boat!

Good luck with her.

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post

Good luck with her.

Jeff
    Sorry Jeff but this one is not built to run down hill, yes it has stakes and is white though

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine also has strakes, including new set, since it runs like a submarine--the bow doesn't come up at speed. (I'm working on it!)

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post

Good luck with her.

Jeff
    THANKS! The boat is actually a Bullet 130, was built in NJ in the 80's and was built to run offshore in poker runs and whatnot, is a scaled down version on a full size off shore race boat. Millions of pics of these boats on the guy who built them for a while, he turned into a photographer so he has alot of pics of them! these boats handle rough water like no other boat its size and its really impressive, here are some links for more pics.

http://www.timsharkey.com/bullet130bysharkey
    http://www.timsharkey.com/bullet130s

Heres a few vids of them in the 80's
    http://www.timsharkey.com/bullet-130-videos

Thread Information