Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: 1970 Inland International Grand Lake St. Marys (Ohio)

  1. #1
    Team Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 1970 Inland International Grand Lake St. Marys (Ohio)

    I believe this was the first year for this event. Bill Sirois was the big winner driving a Mercury twin engine Molinari. I only have a few pictures from this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Thanks brichter thanked for this post

  2. #2
    BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Galesburg, IL
    Posts
    841
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auglaize99 View Post
    I believe this was the first year for this event. Bill Sirois was the big winner driving a Mercury twin engine Molinari. I only have a few pictures from this year.
    The Allison in the foreground of picture 1 was I believe Burt Ross. The Molinari sprint #177 I believe was Jim Merten withe the 1st Sprint Molinari we saw & he one the single engine category going away. I was in the race with a Glastron Molinari/Johnson. with a very slow electric power trim system.
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

  3. #3
    Team Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Keswick, Ontario CANADA
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    The Allison in the foreground of picture 1 was I believe Burt Ross. The Molinari sprint #177 I believe was Jim Merten withe the 1st Sprint Molinari we saw & he one the single engine category going away. I was in the race with a Glastron Molinari/Johnson. with a very slow electric power trim system.
    I think #177 was Don Clark.
    Jim Merton was usually #187.
    In 1971 that actual boat (or one identical to it?) was in the Mercury display at the Toronto Boat Show and then was driven that summer here in Canada by Barry Taylor.
    I think Don Clark was hurt very badly in the Paris 6-hour.

  4. #4
    Team Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi John....Molinari 177 was Don Clark with a 17ft. Jim Merten was 187 with a 16ft sprint. Yes, it was one of the first ones into the US, and yes he did win it by a big margin. I want to say he won the single engine S class ...but also finished 3rd or 4th OVERALL. Ran S with the twin engine T class...that's how fast Jim was.

  5. #5
    Team Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peterse90 View Post
    I think #177 was Don Clark.
    Jim Merton was usually #187.
    In 1971 that actual boat (or one identical to it?) was in the Mercury display at the Toronto Boat Show and then was driven that summer here in Canada by Barry Taylor.
    I think Don Clark was hurt very badly in the Paris 6-hour.
    Don was indeed very badly hurt in Paris that year ( 1970 ) he would have been much worse had he stayed in the paris hospital any longer than he did. Seems the French doctors didn't seem to understand how badly the river was polluted or the correct amount of antibiotic to use....among other things.

    Thanks for jogging my memory Mr. Petersen

  6. #6
    BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Galesburg, IL
    Posts
    841
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zonker1 View Post
    Hi John....Molinari 177 was Don Clark with a 17ft. Jim Merten was 187 with a 16ft sprint. Yes, it was one of the first ones into the US, and yes he did win it by a big margin. I want to say he won the single engine S class ...but also finished 3rd or 4th OVERALL. Ran S with the twin engine T class...that's how fast Jim was.
    Yup, now I recall. Jim was awesome fast with the sprint Moli.

  7. #7
    BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Galesburg, IL
    Posts
    841
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zonker1 View Post
    Don was indeed very badly hurt in Paris that year ( 1970 ) he would have been much worse had he stayed in the paris hospital any longer than he did. Seems the French doctors didn't seem to understand how badly the river was polluted or the correct amount of antibiotic to use....among other things.
    Thanks for jogging my memory Mr. Petersen
    I was in that race when Don got hurt, and true about the medicine as Merc flew him home for proper treatment. Unfortunately the leg didn't survive. Several years later I visited with him at the family dealership in Alton, IL I believe. They told me he normally never left the house next door. It was no doubt after his second accident in the Kitson I believe. Anyway, we did visit for awhile, but he was depressed , as we can all understand.

  8. #8
    Team Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The nice thing about slides is that the processing date is often printed on them, but unfortunately not always so I am trying to figure what year some of the pictures are from. Would 1970 have been the last year for twin engines at this event?

  9. #9
    Administrator Ron Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tustin, California
    Posts
    8,432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 1970. Saint Marys, Ohio, No Had to Be 1971

    Seems they ran Singles and multi engines. Jimbo had won Galveston in Single engine, in May (Same weekend as the Kentucky Derby). Saint Mary's was "KIND OF" tossed together. I remember meeting Freddy Hauenstein in Chicago to fly to Dayton (?)...somewhere in Ohio.

    I remember several things about this race:

    1. My wife worked for TWA and we calculated that she would fly over Saint Marys... (I looked up just before the race started and say a plane fly over.)...

    2. Singles ran first, they took off and made the first turn, I expected Jimbo to be leading. But there were two red Molinari's leading, one was Bobby Hering, the other I don't recall. But as they headed toward on on the shore they both blew over backwards together. It was very spectacular.

    Why it had to be 1971: I finished 2nd at parker, 1970 (First year the outboards ran). I ran my Jones at Havasu, 1970. I had my Jones at Saint Marys. So, it had to be 1971.

    3. Freddy and I got to the airport late and I parked the rent car in front of TWA. I gave the key to the ticket agent. Then, I jumped on the plane. Wednesday, that next week, Hertz called and asked me how much longer I was going to keep the car....I said, "I left it at the curb in front of TWA."....

    4. The raced had just got started and a thunderstorm came up. I was in 4th when the thunderstorm came up. I had A BIG WINDSHIELD AND I COULD SEE FINE. I WAS LEADING WHEN THEY STOPPED THE RACE.

    5. They advertised $25,000 in prizes. I ended up third and got two gas cans.

    These are my memories of Saint Marys, Ohio!

    No, last add, had to be 1970 as I never ran my Jones after Havasu, 1970.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-11-2018 at 08:13 PM.

  10. #10
    Administrator Ron Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tustin, California
    Posts
    8,432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Don Clark, Paris Accident

    Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    I was in that race when Don got hurt, and true about the medicine as Merc flew him home for proper treatment. Unfortunately the leg didn't survive. Several years later I visited with him at the family dealership in Alton, IL I believe. They told me he normally never left the house next door. It was no doubt after his second accident in the Kitson I believe. Anyway, we did visit for awhile, but he was depressed , as we can all understand.
    I really didn't know Don. I knew he owned a boat shop in Alton, Illinois, I think. From what I heard, he pretty much stuffed a "HIGH RIDER" Molinari, and was tossed in front of the boat. Then, the boat managed to run over him. Hurt him real baD. SEEMS, HE LOST A LEG OVER THIS.

    Somewhat like Dick Summerfeldt: Dick got tossed out of his Molinari and the steering cable broke some blood veins in his leg. By the time the French doctors figured that out, they had to remove Dick's leg.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 1971 Inland International Grand Lake St. Marys (Ohio)
    By Auglaize99 in forum Outboard Racing History
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 4 Weeks Ago, 02:00 AM
  2. International marine dyno
    By Boatwrx in forum Motors and Powerheads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2015, 08:44 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 07:02 PM
  4. 1990 International OB GP
    By Tomtall in forum Boat Racing Encyclopedia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 06:51 PM
  5. Southcoast International
    By Ron Hill in forum Business Listings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 10:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •