Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Old Galveston Race Program

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Galveston Race Program

I came across this old race program so I scanned it into my computer. Hope it comes out clear enough to pick out people you may know. Even "Young Ted May" is in this one. Note the price of the program. In order to by it had to mow a couple of yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Likes Mike Crawford liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

great post David, I'm gonna have to go thru all my old pics again to see what I can dig up.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Ron....

.....check this out. Shows that DeSilva wing as a DeSilva/Hill. What did you cut off or add? Was it a Russ, Ron, or combined design that went into it? I think you said you went to Texas once to race so maybe this was it?

Man....that program is a collectors item. It is a who's who of owners, drivers, and boats in all categories. It even shows an entry from my Dad and his partner's Joe Hedricks marine dealership Emmord's , Inc. Doug Rylee was son of the famous Carl Rylee. He moved to Corpus to work with Clayton Elmer who was hired to manage the business.

Tim....the list of Switzer wings is an example of what to asked about on another thread as to how many would show up. Harold Eis who had won a Salton Sea 500 with his boat now had much more competition with the wings.

John Mecom was there in his inboard. Oilman and owner of the New Orleans Saints had a big ranch in South Texas with Rhino's, Giraffes, Wildebeasts and all kinds of weird animals to confuse the coyotes and mountain lions. Red Adair of course had an entry.....and look who else. Michael Reagan. President Reagan's son and now famous talk show host. Maybe I can find an old Powerboat that covered that race.

It would be great if you have pics of that race Scott.

Allen J. Lang

Talking Sea Jays?

Ron-Can you tell me what model Sea Jays that were listed?Were they tunnels or flat bottom? Outside of some sporty pleasure craft and their listing of stock/alky runabouts in their catalog, I didn't know they made anything else. I do remember reading about someone running a Sea Jay hydro once.
    Seems like Cliff and son kept busy.
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Galveston Race Program

Quote Originally Posted by David Alaniz View Post
    I came across this old race program so I scanned it into my computer. Hope it comes out clear enough to pick out people you may know. Even "Young Ted May" is in this one. Note the price of the program. In order to by it had to mow a couple of yards.
    I posted a thread about the Galveston 250 which my dad took my brother and I. It confirms my memory was correct. Lou Brummett and Red Adair were both there. I remember that one of the drivers of "Ambusher II" was killed during that race. My second cousin from Austin drove U-105 in the multi-engine race. His name was Roy Reeves. Thanks for posting this race program! I was 11 years old at this time.

Thread Information