Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercury Mark 58, Why The Preferences?

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Mercury Mark 58, Why The Preferences?

Lately there have been real good preferences expressed about Mercs Mark 58 outboards that were some of Mercs earliest 44s as were the Mark 55A and Mark 55A(E) engines. What makes them so special to some people? I have at least one Mark 58 block sitting as an empty spare. Any enlightenment?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Water Jacket

Hey John,

It was my understanding that the 58 block has less of a water jacket than the newer 44 blocks. As well I think they cc better then the newer style engine. I have always hunted for 58 blocks and not 58A They just always seemed to be faster when assembled.. 58 blocks were Super Thunderbolt and 58A were Full Jewelled Super thunderbolt along with the 400, 450, etc...

Regards..
    Dave Scott
    Ottawa, Canada
    Need Race Parts - http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
    www.aimoutboards.com

20-CE DSH
    20-CE DMH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crankbearing
    Hey John,

It was my understanding that the 58 block has less of a water jacket than the newer 44 blocks. As well I think they cc better then the newer style engine. I have always hunted for 58 blocks and not 58A They just always seemed to be faster when assembled.. 58 blocks were Super Thunderbolt and 58A were Full Jewelled Super thunderbolt along with the 400, 450, etc...

Regards..
    easy Dave, don't reveal all "our" secrets........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default secret agent man

BOOOOOOO YAHHHHHHHHHHHH????

OOPS!!!!

Regards,
    Dave Scott
    Ottawa, Canada
    www.aimoutboards.com

20-CE DSH
    20-CE DMH

Post Thanks / Like

Default Three Screw Port Covers...

When Merc went to the three screw port covers, the in take side was much larger, but you lost crankcase pressure....

Actually, I thought the early blocks had more water in the jacket and thinner sleeves....they have more holes, too, as a restule they didn't idle as well as the hotter running motors, but they ran faster....I', pretty sure the early 58 E's had very high compression head...I KNOW the 55 E's did...The black blocks with the 89 serial number as the first two numbers...

Add: I thought all 44 blocks said "SUPER THUNDERBOLT" on the them.

30's said TURBO FOUR
    40's said Thunderbolt
    44's said Super Thunderbolt.....Only from memory, so, like often, I could be wrong...

Post Thanks / Like

Default super thunderbolt

Hey Ron,

Nope the 58 from what I recall was the only super thunderbolt, the 35A got full Jewelled Thunderbolt and the 58A and into todays 44 got Full Jewelled Super Thunderbolt designation...

Regards,
    Dave Scott
    Ottawa, Canada
    www.aimoutboards.com

20-CE DSH
    20-CE DMH

Post Thanks / Like

Default You Know More Than I....

So, the four port cover blocks were Super Thunderbolt? And the Three screw port covers were Full Jeweled Thunderbolts??? Got any pictures of these different blocks? I only raced one 44 in my life and it was a gas burner with Hubbell Horns and Merc 1000 carbs...Scared hell out of me and Erine dawe as wqe raced F Runabout ONCE!!!! (We decided after that, to let the EXPERTS race F Runabout)...1962...

The old four port cover blocks aren't legal for anything are they???

Off subject: Which don't you list all the 44 XS stuff you have for sale.....???? I sure get a lot of traffic on E-Bay when I list a 44 XS prop..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Ron !!! the list

OK!!!

Mark 30 - 4 port - "Turbo Four"
    Mark 30 - 2 port - "Turbo Four"
    Mark 55 - 4 port - "Thunderbolt"
    Mark 55 - 2 port - "Thunderbolt"
    Mark 35A - 2 port - Full Jewelled thunderbolt"
    Mark 58 - 2 port - "SUPER THUNDERBOLT"
    Mark 58a,s,e, 2 port - "Full Jewelled super thunderbolt
    Mark 400,450,500 - 2 port - Full Jewelled Super Thunderbolt
    500 Silver/Black - 2 port - No label just the small H in the corner with bolt on tuner and no exhaust splitter plate.

This is the list that I can remember, I am sure Sam maybe able to clarify any mistakes I may have made.. but this is from memory..

As for the 44XS. stuff. The reason I am not listing anything right now is I have enough stuff to do with motors, gearcases and mod motors until spring.. Not too mention boat building. I will have a new ad by the end of the month which will list all the new stuff and what i have availalbe I am right now working on complete rebuild kits a, b, c levels which will be basically a reseal kit a bearing kit and a full rebuild kit with pistons, plates etc.. in all sizes as well as a lower unit rebuild kit, at reseal level, seals and bearings level and then a complete with shaft, gears, seals, shims and w/p.

I am also offering the tailcone/gearcase thread repair. I am awaiting a new tap for the "d" lower unit threads that should be in from haskins anytime and a new welding cost from the machine shop..

Anyhow this will all be on the updated web-site come January 1... I am in the middle of updating right now.

any more info on this molds for the cases - I am interested I have several foundries that could look after the pour my mahine shop can hadle the finishing work...

Regards,
    Dave Scott
    Ottawa, Canada
    www.aimoutboards.com

20-CE DSH
    20-CE DMH

Post Thanks / Like

Default We DO NEED SAM...

You don't list a FOUR PORT 44... Was there never a four port 44??? Seems this was what I thought the discussion was about...Old 44 blocks...

I just thought I'd seen a four port 44 block or two...Kenny Schmidt, had a Bull Nosed DeSilva with a Quincy 44...I thought it was a four port block...Newport Beach kid who hung with Ed Brady....Kenny was shot and killed in Mexico by a security gurad at his trailer park....

His Quincy may have been a "D"....The early 44 's were bored 40's....thin cyclinder walls that cooled fast???

I've got to get ORGANIZED...I'll get the 25 XS gearcase on my "TO DO LIST".......but I've lost my list...

Post Thanks / Like

Default nope!!!

Hey Ron,

NO I may be wrong, but I do not think that there were any 4 port 44 blocks. That is why the 30 and 40 ci motors in 59 were 2 ports with the same designation but I could be wrong. here are some pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Dave Scott
    Ottawa, Canada
    www.aimoutboards.com

20-CE DSH
    20-CE DMH

Thread Information