Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aristo-craft Torpedo I4

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Aristo-craft Torpedo I4

Looking For Some Help If Possible. I Have A New 14 Aristo-craft Dry Weight 250 . I Have Strong 55-h And Mk-55 Standard Lower Unit.i Am 180 Lbs.i Made Ajustable Set Back Bracket About 4" I Can Adjust Height No Problem.i Would Like To Run 55-h . I Had Boat Built With Rear Cockpit Cable Steering No Winshield Etc. Will It Work? Height? Prop? Any Thoughts? Also Hull Has 1.5" Kell From Bow To About 16" From Transom,should I Cut It Back Further? I Retired From 30yrs. Of Racing In 1990 But I Still Like To Go Fast. Thanks Nick

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid that is just too heavy to use with a 55H.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Nick Cerino of Miss Hillwinds and lil' Miss Hillwinds fame? COOL!

We had Dinner at Hillwinds back in the late 70's with Chick Ciotti and his wife. My Dad, Al Lytle was the announcer at all the Inboard Littleton regatta's, and I think the Littleton Chamber of Commerce flipped the bill for dinner that night!

Got to meet Uncle Louie too!

Ciao!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aristo-craft 14

Hi Jeff Thats Me, Great To Here From You.many Good Times.i Miss That Great Part Of My Life. I Just Play At The Lake House Now .still Like To Go Fast. Happy Holidays NicK Cerino

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CHIN-CHIN1110
    Looking For Some Help If Possible. I Have A New 14 Aristo-craft Dry Weight 250 . I Have Strong 55-h And Mk-55 Standard Lower Unit.i Am 180 Lbs.i Made Ajustable Set Back Bracket About 4" I Can Adjust Height No Problem.i Would Like To Run 55-h . I Had Boat Built With Rear Cockpit Cable Steering No Winshield Etc. Will It Work? Height? Prop? Any Thoughts? Also Hull Has 1.5" Kell From Bow To About 16" From Transom,should I Cut It Back Further? I Retired From 30yrs. Of Racing In 1990 But I Still Like To Go Fast. Thanks Nick
    Hi Nick, I agree the the 14 ft Aristo Craft will be too heavy for the 55h. I have a 14 ft Speedliner that is about the same weight. I use a MK 58 on a gear shift lower unit using a 2 blade 12" pitch prop. It has plenty of speed (not as fast as a 55H ) "or a B Hydro" and could use a little bigger prop. I would go with the MK55.. Bob Rusnak N-96
    Bob Rusnak

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aristo-craft 14

Thanks Bob Its' Not Looking Good For 55h.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys are wrong on the 55H deal. In the old days a DU, as in utility, the boat itself had to weigh in at 280 pounds. The combined weight rule didn't take effect until the mid 50's. My Grandpa, Bill Leutner told me that he would see about 54 mph with a KG-9 on his Switzer Bullet. The thing to do back then was put a fly weight guy in a DU to take advantage of the weight difference. I have a pic of Jerry Waldman racing against my Grandpa in DU. Waldman weighed what, about 140 pounds?

My Grandpa also put a 55H on his Switzer. It would run about 58 mph. He actually took the rig to the Worcster Mass. nationals in the late 50's and he made it into the finals with that big tub. My mom has an old 16mm film of one of the heats. He actually led a heat for 2 1/2 laps and was past by 1 boat on the last turn. His combined weight was 605 pounds. This is when the combined weight for a DU was 525 pounds. To my knowledge, he was the last of the 280 pound boats to ever make a finals.

Now, he ran the motor deep, never above 13" on the transom. The fashion back then was to use a small prop, wind the hey out of it and run it deep. When the KG-9 came in, it had a short skeg like a KG-4, the Q set up. They also used a tremendously big fin on the boat. When the longer skeg foot came out they could do more with set ups.

So There!

I would think this Aristocraft would run in the low 50 mph range with no problem and be a lot of fun.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, I know your intentions are good, but your information has a few errors. I looked up the actual rules and weights and .... 280 pounds is involved, but it is not the bare hull weight. 280 is the boat and everything attached ... motor, steering, cleats etc. An addtional 155 pounds was the minimum for driver and additional non fixed items ... fire extinguisher etc.
    435-485 was the racing weight with 435 the minimum combined legal racing weight for DU ... straight from the rule book from the early 1950's

I used to have a 13ft Switzer Bullet myself, I am certain of the bare hull weight .... probably about half of 280

my experience with the 13 ft Bullet and D motors says your speed reports are exactly right for the Bullet and its real weight, but the Aristo is much heavier than the DU's as raced, even from the early 1950's
    Last edited by Mark75H; 12-15-2005 at 01:18 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam,

Now I am confused. The total of 435 pounds is correct? How could that be when it was 525 for years after.

Also, I still have one of our old Switzers and its' a beast. Its' got to weigh easily over 200 pounds.

If the boat say weighs 200 + 115 motor ( 55H ) + 25 hardware thats 340 pounds. I would guess the boat to be closer to 225+ which is then 365 without the driver. Then add a 220 pound guy and you got 585 pounds.

The Aristicraft weighs 250 +115 motor +25 hdwr. thats 390 pounds. Add then a 185 pound driver ( owner in this case ) then the total is 575 pounds. That should be well with in a 55 to push that.

Why do you say this won't work for a 50 mph ride?

Tim

Thread Information