Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercury Mark 58, Why The Preferences?

Post Thanks / Like

I think Dave is correct, Merc didn't make 4 port 44's, but racers did ... 44's and 46's I have been told

Add the Merc 300 and 350 as the 40 ci successors to the Mark35A
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'd Never Argue With SAM!!!

Replacing a sleeve was so unheard of in the OLD DAYS, that the MOD 44 I saw, four ports, never occured to me that icould have been a bored 40....

Someone help me, but from 40 to a 44 is what??? .060 a side??? Maybe...

We had heard rumors of QUINCY sleeving blocks, but never really saw one...
    AN FYI: When my dad read tha the 350 block with 5/8 ports was legal for "D" Stock, he decided we should find one of those blocks....No one would believe how driven we were in those days, but I spends days, weeks...looking for a 350....I finally found one, salted up like hell..We bored it .030, new pistons the whole nine yards....Biggest DOG we ever built...

20:20 hind sight, I think it was water jacketed too hot, we could have gone back in and drilled a few holew, which would have been legal, more or less, and maybe she would have run.....But I also suspect, she didn't have any compression...Like the Black 55 E blocks had...Those 89 serial number motors had some compression...if you don't believe me, ask Clark Malooff...as hes said, "Them black blocks are pissers..."

Clark was one of those guys you didn't mind lose to!!!

LAST ADD:

At Mickey's (Schwarzenbach) Apple Valley Marine, I thought I saw a four port SUPER THUNDERBOLT block......this was 1977..so, maybe, I forgot!!!! I was looking for BLCK 55 E blocks at the time....I just kind of remember thinking, hell, this would make a great D Stock block!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default boring!

Hey Ron,

Yes I always wondered about doing that.. the finished hole in a 40 is 2.442 and in a 44 is 2.565 but I have measured some that were 2.562 as well. It would leave a real thin wall and I think you would be doing rings on a regular basis with the extra heat. On another note, this is one way I thought of getting 40 pistons was to get some unfinished 44 pistons from wiseco have them turned down to 40 CI .030 level and then have the pin hole machined where it needs to be.. or as well you could do this for the early 44CI small wrist pin pistons as well.

Yes the 35A would never rev but if you punch them .030 port them out of site I think we were doing more wide then high but cannot remember then install a set of 4 pipes, they would really howl and hang on coming out of the corner they had all kinds of balls there. I really think these were the beginning of the 650 4 banger as that is a motor that is a real stump puller as well.

Regards,

Regards,
    Dave Scott
    Ottawa, Canada
    Need Race Parts - http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
    www.aimoutboards.com

20-CE DSH
    20-CE DMH

Post Thanks / Like

Default one thing we can't forget

Hey guys,

There is one thing we cannot forget, we can go through the books all we want but we really never know what was coming out of the factory on any given date. I have a black block 55 with the pads and the tits gone off the ports I have not measured the height yet.. but the kicker is it is a matching numbers block and it has AJ carbs openings.. So did they run short of 55 fishing blocks that run and use h blocks that day.. who knows.

but onto stories - I received a bunch of parts in lieu of finishing a boat for one of my customers and in that I got a mod motor which was a 58 block with a 75 stamping and an unmatched crankcase, I as well got a 35A mod from the guy in RI with all the stuff from Fred Auger's estate well one motor came out of Pittsburgh and the other from RI and you guessed it the crankcase cover on the motor from RI has a 75 stamped on it.. The other cool history fact is the 35A mod has CB stamped all over it.. and the only name I can think of is Clyve Bayer. (spelling??)

Regards,
    Dave Scott
    Ottawa, Canada
    www.aimoutboards.com

20-CE DSH
    20-CE DMH

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen black blocks with AJ fronts too. Strang said the black finish was just a test to see if the finish would make the block stiffer, it denotes nothing else
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cb

Al the Bayer stuff we have is stamped, or has it in the casting, the name Bayer Marine, never seen a CB for Bayer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default CB stamp

Hey Dave,

I realize that the flywheel and stack plate have the bayer name on them but then the block has CB stamped all over it as well. I did not know I just wondered if it could be possibly built by bayer..

Regards,
    Dave Scott
    Ottawa, Canada
    www.aimoutboards.com

20-CE DSH
    20-CE DMH

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Replacement Mark 55H early blocks here were Mark 55Es

When a DSH racer here needed a replacement block for a Merc Mk55H, the Merc depot here supplied us with Mk 55E (electric start blocks) that ran better than an original Mark 55H 4 inspection port block. The question came up then as it does now periodically, being, that since a person was buying a heavier electric start motor, they need some compensation horsepower wise for the increased weight so they gave them better/higher ports. Fully half of the dozen 55Hs here became the 55E block and that did not make the Mark 55H-1 guys happy as they could rarey beat the Mark 55E based engines, which were legal too!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 55 Fishing Blocks

The 55 Fishing Block weren't made legal in APBA until after 1974.....

And the 55E, black block 89 serial numbers were the hot block for D STOCK, but tI thought this THREAD was about 44......blocks and I'm still wondering if I ever saw a four post FACTORY 44 block...

Thanks for posting, John...and I agree that many a D HYDRO driver didn't like the FISHING BLOCK motors...because they were fast!!!

ADD: I saw an almost new Merc 300 today....I didn't buy it...I'm sticking to two cyclinder 40-50-60 OMC's....Bought a "CHERRY" gearcase today for a Short, 15" shaft, ....I'm going to build a motor for Bill Boyes...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ports Were Lower

55 E and all "FISHING BLOCKS" has the ports .060 lower than the 55-H...

Had the "H" block not had high in take ports, the high exhaust ports may have helped its performance....But the low ports got around the course much faster.

In 1974, my National Champion Du motor would come off the corner, at Bakersfield at 55 MPH...the first "FISHING BLOCK" I ever ran came off the same corner at 62 MPH and was gaining speed not still losing speed....

Right then and there, I never raced a 55 H block!

Thread Information