Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chicago River: I can't believe this picture is still around....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chicago River: I can't believe this picture is still around....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CT-Photo-Chi...item3cbda3ac7b

...stumbled upon it on ebay. My dad is in the boat, older sister and little brother in the middle, Terry Leatherby's daughter is at the far right, not sure who the girl is on the left but either DeGrenier's or Ingebretsen's daughter most likely. I know that none of them knew the photographer was behind them and we were all surprised when it came out in the paper about 36 years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

As I ecall, you guys were practicing around 7AM and whizzed right by Marina towers...In this time frame, Merc had the stackers and every one of the soon to be yuppie scum called to complain about the noise....I was watchinh boats, but the windows at thw towers were pretty interesting too...Every set of drapes in the joint was wide open by 8am....
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Skoontz, This picture was 75, they outlawed stacks in OPC in 73, but you're, right in 73 a lot of complaints at most race sites which led to the demise of stacks.....

The course at this race was very short and the boats were always in a turn.
    Here is a pic from that same race, no launch ramp, boats were put in by a crane.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I remember that too....they always would launch inboards with a crane, but the Chicago river was the first time I saw outboats launch from the crane as well.
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

The 1975 race was by Navy Pier. I think on the north side of Navy Pier. The year before it was by Marina City Towers. My mom took this photo in 1974.
    Mark N

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MN1 View Post
    The 1975 race was by Navy Pier. I think on the north side of Navy Pier. The year before it was by Marina City Towers. My mom took this photo in 1974.
    Mark N
    If I am not mistaken, City of chicago moved it to NavyPeir because of the high rent district at Marina Towers...But at Navy Peir, they called it the Air and Water show, which still was going when I left in 2001.

I always thought combining an air water show in San diego would be brilliant, as north Island Naval Station and/or MCAS Miramar is a mile off the water where the boat races run....It would be a great way to slow the lag time between heats, set ups and so on....
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Some names from those pictures...

In the first picture #1025 was Marshall Penka, who was a salesman for Vampire, # 1144 which is barely visible with the Johnson motor, is John Stochl driving the same Sid that was #328 in the picture from the previous post. #519 is Jeff Anderson in a Checkmate hull. Looks like a McCall on the outside of the turn, I can't see the number but it could be Dick Ingebretsen.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I remember a race site, possibly on the Chicago River.........

where I attended a race in the late 60's. It was put on by I am sure Outboard Club of Chicago, as it was an "Alky" race, although there may have been a few classes of OPC, I am not sure about that as we are talking 40+ years ago, and as the saying goes, I can't remember where I put my car keys this morning, much less that long ago, but sometimes the problem is the opposite. Funny how that works, or doesn't. ANYWAY:

The thing I remember most about the site was the pit access to the water, or lack of same. There was a VERY steep bank going down to the water, and I mean STEEP and like 15-20 feet from top of bank to water, took 6 to 8 crew members to get a boat down to the water so you could start. I don't remember racing there as I may have had engine problems as that was my 1st or 2nd year back after about a 10 year layoff and it took awhile to get my stuff together (some might say I never did) but I do remember the site and the hard way to the water.

Anybody remember or know where this site was??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brichter View Post
    In the first picture #1025 was Marshall Penka, who was a salesman for Vampire, # 1144 which is barely visible with the Johnson motor, is John Stochl driving the same Sid that was #328 in the picture from the previous post. #519 is Jeff Anderson in a Checkmate hull. Looks like a McCall on the outside of the turn, I can't see the number but it could be Dick Ingebretsen.
    Billy you need to stop by

Thread Information