Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Donation

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Donation

Since selling my warehouse here in Naples, I no longer have anywhere to keep two hydros that I will donate to anyone that will come for them.
    One is a 250 Pugh that I bought new in 1985. I ran the 4 cylinder Koenig on it and later used in the RB class with a Litzell coversion of an FA.
    The other is a rare 500-700 DeSilva hydro that David Westbrook bought in the eighties and won the 700 at Depue.
    Contact me at rwdf22@aol.com, or 404-402-8641. Time is of the essence!
    Ralph Donald

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am glad to report that all three boats have been donated to the new Barber Marine Museum being started by the Barber Motorcycle Museum near Birmingham, Al.
    It will be located in Orange Beach, Al. and if it is anything near like the motorcycle museum, it will be outstanding.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great news Ralph. It will be something that the public as well as all the boat racers and others can see.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I am glad to report that all three boats have been donated to the new Barber Marine Museum being started by the Barber Motorcycle Museum near Birmingham, Al.
    It will be located in Orange Beach, Al. and if it is anything near like the motorcycle museum, it will be outstanding.
    Ralph,

Will there be motors on the Boats? If not, it would be cool for someone to donate motors to be mounted on the Boats.

What a great project. Any time Race Boats can be displayed, boat racing becomes more in the eye of the public. And, that is a good thing.
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Ralph,

I don't know if I have any photos of the boats in action, but if there are any you might think of, let me know. I will do what I can to add to the museum. Like Dean says....that is a good thing.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had no motors for them, so I am sure the museum will be hoping for donations of motors. I have some pictures of the Pugh boat, but none of the DeSilvas except when they were picked up by the museum. I will post them later. I want to thank Paul Christner for putting me in touch with the museum, he had them call me for information on the boats and and where to pick them up.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that the Mark Suter collection is going there as well. Sounds like a road trip for me and Joe Rome. When things get settled we need to set a date for a boat racer reunion to go and tour the museum.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First, I would like to thank Ralph Donald for contributing boats to the Barber Museum. Capturing boat racing history and putting it into the public domain is certainly a great thing to do. But clarification of what George Barber is trying to do is needed. His first effort was to create the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum in the Birmingham, Alabama area. It started out as primarily focused on racing motorcycles but has since evolved to include racing cars and a few racing outboard motors. It is a hugely successful venture (i.e., self-sustaining) and has been drawing many visitors from across our nation and beyond. The Museum is situated in a huge Motorsports Park that includes a racetrack that has been used for both Indy-car and motorcycle racing. The architecture of the Museum and the rolling hills setting are simply fabulous. During a recent visit and tour, I noticed construction in progress on "The Museum of Flight" which will be a new resident of the Motorsports Park. After much research on potential landing places for my "Suter Collection" (almost 200 outboard racing motors, 13 racing boats and many outboard racing-related items), I have, indeed, decided to donate it to the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum in Birmingham because of the wonderful way they preserve motorsports history and make it accessible to the public.

What hasn't been clear so far in this thread is that there will be a second Barber Museum in the future in a complex that is being developed in Orange Beach, Alabama on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. There already is a huge operational marina and restaurant in the complex and a 3-year project has been started to construct the new Museum adjacent to the marina. That facility reportedly will be populated with both racing and non-racing outboard motors and boats. From what I have heard, it sounds like Ralph's boats will be headed to the Orange Beach Museum upon its completion.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarification Mark. Anything I can do to help with the preservation of outboard history I will do. Even though it will be at a different venue, the fact that it will be part of the Barber enterprise is assurance that it will be done right. So....maybe we're looking at two road trips. One in the next year or so up to Birmingham, then in three years up to Birmingham then down to Orange Beach and back home. A good and easy run.

Thread Information