Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 59ci Merc help please SRG, Foreman, MWhite ETC.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a pic to give you an idea of the boat bottom. It's just one big ole sheet of .125" with no corrugation. You can see if flexing and flopping at speed from inside the boat.
    Name:  BOAT BOTTOM.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  109.7 KB

This just a pic of my main bitches enjoying the weekend with me. Have to tell them to stay off the bow deck at full throttle. They crazy lol.
    Name:  dobeboat.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  167.3 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a high speed hull--period. You might want to start looking around for something more appropriate. (Where I boat it's rough as hell, so a deep Vee is the ticket.)
    Your dogs remind me of my kid's puppies.

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    Not a high speed hull--period. You might want to start looking around for something more appropriate. (Where I boat it's rough as hell, so a deep Vee is the ticket.)
    Your dogs remind me of my kid's puppies.

Jeff
    Yea I think you right. Prob going to go with a shallow V style jon boat. Weldbilt or similar. River don't get too rough unless the weather real bad or a holiday with bunch of boats running around and in that case we stay home. The little aluminum boat has treated me well up until trying to push it faster. Going to put it up for sale after I get back from the beach.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I got the Merc running like a top after a little tinkering. Idle mix wanted a little more fuel after syncing up all the butterflies on the carbs. Then adjusted the idle timing a bit and she fires up first yank now and idles all the way through the marina. That made me pretty happy so we took it out yesterday for a bit between storms. The bottom plug is still looking dry when compared to the top cylinders so I may have more carb work to do, but it ran pretty smooth.

After all that I took two big crescent wrenches and put some real small downward bends in my "trim tabs" which is really just where the boat bottom extends out passed the transom about 3 inches. I just did about a 4 inch wide section on the very outward edges. This made a huge difference. I might have lost 1 mph but the bow stays down now and I was able to trim the engine out all the way to the third pin hole. My girl even noticed how well it was riding. Me, her, and a good amount of gear and tools and the boat touched 40mph with the 13 pitch. Slow I know, but for the first time in a while I had some hope that this little hull might be worth a dang haha. Going to drill the jackplate and get that engine up a little higher and try some bigger props.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

40 mph is not slow! Good work. If my experience means anything, you'll pick up 4 to 5 mph with the cav plate at least an inch above the keel.

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    40 mph is not slow! Good work. If my experience means anything, you'll pick up 4 to 5 mph with the cav plate at least an inch above the keel.

Jeff
    That's what I'm hoping for Jeff. Pretty amazing how small of a detail can make such a big difference on the water. I've only built Jeeps and street cars up to this point so it's definitely been a learning experience for me. Having some fun for sure tho.

Post Thanks / Like

So I haven't changed a thing since I last posted, but I'm going to take the boat out alone today and play some. Just hoping it handles about the same and doesn't bounce the bow too bad.

Might twist on the carbs a tad more. For some reason in reverse it kept wanting to die and that was a bit aggravating, but I'll get it straightened out soon.

Post Thanks / Like

It did pretty good yesterday. 44mph and stayed pretty flat. I didn't have anything but a fuel tank and a Gatorade so I was impressed that once she stepped up the bow stayed down. The whole boat kind of bounced maybe an inch or so at full throttle. Not sure if I didn't have the speed to hold it up on top or if I need to reduce the angle of the trim tabs a bit.

Also, randomly noticed once I loaded the boat that my trim tab anode was gone. Nothing left but a little bit around the mounting bolt. Looks like something got in between it and the prop but no real damage so I'm not real worried. Hopefully it's a cheap part.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

glad to hear it's running good, but if your wanting speed that's not the hull as already stated. That hull is intended to be a heavy duty little fishing boat, great if your gonna bang off logs or rocks but a rather heavy hull for the size.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ferdthe4 View Post
    glad to hear it's running good, but if your wanting speed that's not the hull as already stated. That hull is intended to be a heavy duty little fishing boat, great if your gonna bang off logs or rocks but a rather heavy hull for the size.
    I hear ya and agree. Just working with what I got until I figure out what's next. Plan was to get a 15' Weldbilt with a small deadrise, but I'm going to learn up on these Thundercats first. They look like a riot.

I'm pretty sure I can get a few more mph out of it. Wont be outrageous, but 50+mph maybe. It's fun for now though and gets me and the dogs out there.

Got a little bit of what I think is a lean sneeze going on at idle. Going to tune on the carbs one more time before I just take them off and rebuild. Also, looking at my spark plugs I think the max timing is way too advanced. Timing mark is nearly all the way at the base of the plug strap. Gonna put the gun on it and find out.

Thread Information