Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 59ci Merc help please SRG, Foreman, MWhite ETC.

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on finding a set of the 60 carbs. Sure wish Mr. Danny (1995US1) still offered the 66.6hp kit with carbs and all in one package. Port timing isn't too big a deal to me because I will eventually have the thing ported out and all.

Kind of learning the engine right now and have read nearly the whole service manual haha. Seems like this engine has a lot more top end than my previous engines? When I give it a little throttle in neutral it revs up real quick like a dirt bike. Also, when at low throttle I can feel it hit a point where it comes into the powerband and starts pulling real hard. Hopefully thats just the nature of this engine. I may pull the carbs and check them out and clean them to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like

19p prop and new fuel tank are arriving today. Pretty anxious to see how the hull reacts. One detail I may not have mentioned is the engine is the gas assisted tilt version. No power trim, but if I hit something it will kick up rather than whatever would happen otherwise. I'm pretty positive I will end up installing a factory tilt and trim unit or possibly an aftermarket unit which would be great so I can keep the kick up feature.

I like to run several of the smaller rivers than dump into the TN river and they can get shallow with stumps and debris.

Will report back this weekend after I hit the water. Hoping to throttle through the bouncing and have enough prop to get some lift.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't seem to get up into the powerband with the 19 pitch. A little bit surprised, but might be a little heavy and low on HP to turn that much with my engine so low in the water. Going to need to find a set of 60 carbs and reed plates. Any opinions on other things I can do before taking the powerhead off for porting? Guess a lightened flywheel and reeds is about my only option.

Post Thanks / Like

I've also noticed some people saying they run over 6000 RPM's on these engines in stock form. I'm confused on how that's possible. I thought the biggest factor on RPM was the port height inside the cylinder. I've read of people with stock merc 50'-60's turning 6500+ with 18p propellers and I can't help but question if something is wrong with my engine. Was pretty surprised it wouldn't push my boat with the 19p.

Hope to stir up a crowd of people with knowledge on this soon. Hard to believe how many used to race and mod these engines and I can't get much info other than the old threads.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been awhile sense I've been on here. Bateman I don't know if I can help or not, you need to try different props, at different heights, 19p prop will need to rise your motor I order to spin it, other wise you not going to turn it, same gos with a 18p chopper prop, you got to get motor up, your boat weight has a lot to do with how it performs. R you trying to run a racing prop or a fishing prop?
    Let it all Hang out

Post Thanks / Like

Your weight and what you have in boat plays a part in how it runs, a stock motor will turn 6500 rpms, but things have to be set up right. It takes lots of testing, setting up motor, trying different props and the liter you are the better.
    Let it all Hang out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MWhite View Post
    It's been awhile sense I've been on here. Bateman I don't know if I can help or not, you need to try different props, at different heights, 19p prop will need to rise your motor I order to spin it, other wise you not going to turn it, same gos with a 18p chopper prop, you got to get motor up, your boat weight has a lot to do with how it performs. R you trying to run a racing prop or a fishing prop?
    Man I can't believe you caught wind of this little thread lol. Look like most of yall have been gone from here for a few years at least.

Good to hear about the motor height. I had a feeling that it was just too low in the water. I want to turn a racing prop, but not until I get a handle on all this and learn a little more. They expensive.

I think my boat weighs a bit over 350 pounds just the empty hull so she ain't light. I been keeping an eye out for other boats to put my motor on and be a little lighter.

I appreciate you coming on here to give me some pointers. I've read all the racing and smack talking threads yall had going back in the day. Wish it was still that popular haha.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the boat with me today. I'm gonna hit the water after work with an empty hull and see if I can drive through all the bow bouncing. Might drill some new holes in the jack plate tonight to see how high I can get the motor.

Post Thanks / Like

If it’s bouncing, I’d check the bottom of your hull and make sure it’s straight. It might a have a rocker built into the hull .if it has it’ll be near impossible to stop..
    If it’s straight a good Hi rake stainless prop will settle it down.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to get a pic of the boat bottom. I don't think it's gonna work to well. It doesn't have a corrugated bottom like most. It has two reinforcement stringers that run long ways. 2 inside the boat and 2 up under the boat. Welded about every 6 inches. Looks like a bunch of small ripples or waves under the boat due to that.

Thread Information