Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Towers anyone ?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tower Housing

Ray,
    Yes I do offer one to fit the OMC 3 Cylinder, It looks very similar to the D mod in the pictures. The only difference is an adapter plate to attach the power head to the tower. Its the same swivel and clamp assembly.
    Price $950.00

Post Thanks / Like

Default The best layed plans.....

Well. I could say "Oh rats and mice" about my weekend and do nothing but complain,but..... Friday testing was a struggle mostly because I'm so out of "practice" and I've never run the Polaris on my boat so the set up was a SWAG. However after seizing the "new" motor on the cart(I "think"?) I put the clutch unit on it. It's a really good thing that Dale Bartley was there to point out that I should tighten the prop nut and the plugs ( I did put the shear pin in and the the plug wires were on and,in my defense,I figured out that there weren't plugs in the boat before someone else did before it sank.) Inspite of all this "chinese fire drill" stuff, we finally managed to get it off the beach and on the course. It was a pleasant surprise to see it actually fly and buzz along at 75 or so ( this thing is a real barn door, big and heavy, and has never flown at less than 90)
    In the mean time,we had come to decsion that Al should run Dale's C boat
    instead of mine for a variety of reasons(getting him a "good ride" being the most important.)
    Al got his "first-first" in C mod Saturday. Doug Reeds 250 went south in the first heat and since he had driven 250 miles or so to race,he asked me if he could run my unit on Sunday. I told him it wasn't very fast because I hadn't been able to try anything (welcome to the big top) but it would start and finnish both heats(I was fairly confident about that)
    Well,surprise,surprise! ! ! Due to some fortuitous gun jumping by the really fast folks ( Bill Diamond and Jon Steen) and being able to fend off the "Queen of the 350s"(Kay Meyers-Brewer) Doug got his "First-First" in an SOA
    race and it FINALLY convinced me that I need a new boat.
    The clutch unit showed me enough to know that with the right set up , it will get off on it's own and that a new boat will be worth 10mph by itself.
    The "new motor" ????? Well,I'll pull it down and "see" what happened but the ignition is going to be changed out even if I have to give up the recoil.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by will350
    I took the clutch unit to Eatonville for a "new" driver to run(Al Benson).
    Of course I put the"curse" on myself by NOT taking another power head or motor and telling myself (and others)"This thing is sooo dependable and reliable that I don't need to". It started first pull on the cart after two years on the rack(sounded just fine) It started first pull for the heat(sounded just fine and it looks like the lighter clutch will get off on it's own). Just before it took a bite, it quit. Inspection revealed that the top plug was gray and flat.
    Apparrently the "Hong Kong" piston in that hole decided it was time to break off the skirt on the exhaust side.(I bought these at a swap meet for $40 new,
    that'll teach me something about the phrase "OEM") New OEM pistons and rings are on the way for that one.(it didn't hurt the bores and the bearings seem OK) My driver was and is pretty pumped up in spite the rather less than satisfactory performance so...... We're going to Lawrence with everything I have. Since we get a "TEST" day I'll be able to find out just what the "new" motor does with different pipes and so on.
    I "had" to paint the boat because that oak decking (as pretty as it was)
    had started "sprouting" little sticky things all over. White is good.Orange trim is good. The top looks better than the bottom so today (or tomorrow) I'll turn it over and take care of that.As a note of interest,I used gloss white LATEX on the deck and am very impressed with the result but I will do the bottom with oil based enamel.
    Stay tuned.... this could be "very interesting"
    Will
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Probably...Yes

I think so.I have a set of Karelsen plans I got from Ed with hand notations on changes to make. Bassically add 4" to the afterplane and lean the transom back to 25 degrees instead of 15.
    I'm not sure that an 82" afterplane in enough,so some input from the board would be good. These are D plans from 1980 and as much as I trust Ed to know his stuff,I'm shooting for 100+ and the O/A will only be 10'4". That just seems really small to me(but then ,the thing I have now probably had several sets of oarlocks as original equipment)
    Does any one else think this might be a bit too short?
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6
    Will,

Are you going to build your own boat too? (Wouldn't surprise me if you did.)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hull Dimensions

Will,
    With those intended speeds, you'll need around 90" - 92" afterplane. 60" sponsons and your overall lengtht will be around 12'6" With the light weight engines, 35" or 36" wide bottom would work fine.

Regards
    Lee

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Will, Its Like This! Don't! Make it longer and some other stuff!

I put a rebuilt Quincy C Alky Flathead on a C-Mod Hemp and I thought being a 200 lb ruffian I would hold it all down. At just over 10+ feet, what happened next was downright scary, there was no way of holding it at that length anywhere without the sponsoss levering up over 2 ft off the water with a 1 hole kick under before you realized it and turned white! You thinking of a 340 Polaris on 10 ft 6 inches!! I will send you my white and yellow spray paints !! LOL!

I started mapping and cutting the aluminum stock to make versions of your towers for snowmo applications engines. So far managed to trip breakers doing that too many times and have to rewire to deal with the heavier electrical loads a 15 amp service can't handle. The local snowmo graveyard has some neat stuff but all the best stuff and there are mountains of it are pulled and tagged but NOT inventoried, if you could believe that! So its look and look and look and more look! People are asking questions too and I am saying nothing because they are reputed to become very greedy, very fast!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quandry City

Well,now I am in the indecisive mode... When I got the plans from Ed,I explained that I wanted it to be "good" to 100. I think I'm going to have to go and visit Ed again. The motors I run are anything but "lightweights".
    They're about D stock weight( + or - a few pounds) so building something that "has" to have a light motor to perform is not going to work for me.
    However,I may have enough material to build a boat and 3/4s(I'll have to study on this a bit) and if that's the case,building one to Ed's specs and "something else" may be how this is going to go. The D boat that I originally ran these on was a wonderful little thing,no surprises and very sensitive to position, but then the best I ever did was 73 with a bone stock 302 lower which is probably close to the limit of a stock case.I know that with the nose cone,there will a pretty fair jump in speed.
    I may go to the drawing board myself on this,but will probably need more input. Don't want to blow my meager funding and time on something that will wind up being a warm glow for a beer drinking party.
    Any thoughts,ideas are more than welcome.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Tietze
    Will,
    With those intended speeds, you'll need around 90" - 92" afterplane. 60" sponsons and your overall lengtht will be around 12'6" With the light weight engines, 35" or 36" wide bottom would work fine.

Regards
    Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MN1
    Oh, yeah! can you say instant 1100cc runabout motor?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm going to order one of those for my ATV for dessert season!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

215hp out of a 800cc 4cyl is not the impressive They make that much with a 2cyl 800 mod and race it all day long.

Thread Information