Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Janz: Boat Builder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill Janz: Boat Builder

This picture was in with a box of stuff I received this weekend at USTS Nationals.. When I showed it around nobody could identify the gentleman. Anybody know who this might be ?? All I know is it was taken at DePue in 1973.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-10-2023 at 03:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racingfan1 View Post
    This picture was in with a box of stuff I received this weekend at USTS Nationals.. When I showed it around nobody could identify the gentleman. Anybody know who this might be ?? All I know is it was taken at DePue in 1973.
    Looks like Bill Janz a boat builder and race official to me. My partner, Erv Julien, bought his first DSH from Wil Pergande who had won the nationals with it in 1970 ?Which was a Janz boat.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When I started racing, I had a Janz D Hydro that I bought from John Brusk. Wil Pergande had originally ordered it but then decided on CSH and a DSH so John got the combo C-D boat. But I never talked with or met Bill Janz. He had some strange things on some of his older boats but the last ones were pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Jon Stone won DSH nationals in 1970 in beloit wisconsin.

This is according to my dad.
    - Craig "Dew"
    Flyer Race Boats
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1968 at Green Lake, Seattle, Washington: Wil Pergande Won CSH and DSH

Quote Originally Posted by jon66w View Post
    Looks like Bill Janz a boat builder and race official to me. My partner, Erv Julien, bought his first DSH from Wil Pergande who had won the nationals with it in 1970 ?Which was a Janz boat.
    I'm pretty sure, Wil Pergande won CSH and DSH at the 1968 Stock Nationals in Seattle. Wil ran a teal green Janz in CSH and DSH. Two boats, one for each class.

I'm absolutely sure that Jon Stone won DSH in 1970 at Beloit. His win was almost as spectacular as my D Runabout win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I'm pretty sure, Wil Pergande won CSH and DSH at the 1968 Stock Nationals in Seattle. Wil ran a teal green Janz in CSH and DSH. Two boats, one for each class.

I'm absolutely sure that Jon Stone won DSH in 1970 at Beloit. His win was almost as spectacular as my D Runabout win.
    I don't disagree with the date of Will's win, note the question mark behind 1970. But no one has posted confirming my guess that the pix is Bill Janz!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-10-2023 at 03:38 PM.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post

Yes he did with a two port cover late 40 c.i. block

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill Janz

Quote Originally Posted by jon66w View Post
    I don't disagree with the date of Wil's win,note the question mark behind 1970. But no one has posted confirming my guess that the pix is Bill Janz!!
    I only remember seeing Bill Janz's boat at Guntersville, Alabama, 1962. Jon 66-W, I assumed you knew Bill Janz well. I'm not sure I ever met Bill!

In 1960, my dad built a two port cover "D" for the Nationals. Never tested it before the Nationals. He was convinced it would be better. I ended up with 2nd, after five restarts in the second heat. After we got home and tested that motor at Needles (My brother ran it in the Needles Marathon, which I won for one of my 12 marathons in a row)....That two port had less acceleration and off by almost 3 MPH. After Needles, we never ran that block again!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who ???

Can anyone identify these two gentleman? Looks like they are working on a rebuild.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I recognize the older guy, but I don't know his name. It's hard to tell from the angle, but the younger guy might be Lee Sutter.

Thread Information