Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1978 Stippich DSR for sale

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1978 Stippich DSR for sale

I have just listed my Stippich on ebay. Here is the listing write up I chose to list on ebay as it protects both the seller and buyer by using Pay Pal.

This is a very rare restored DSR Built originally for Harold Barnes. One of the last ones built by the master, CARL. I restored it and added my racing graphics. I added the side fin that made it much easier for us old guys to flat turn. Ideal for Classic racing or marathons which I was going to do but surcomed to the DSR disease of having my left hip and knee replaced. It is light and fast and has the Di Silva bottom tweaks. I had it up to 70mph GPS without any prop changing or height adjustments. It comes with a full cover and boat cart.I also have available a perfect 44 powerhead by Jerry Wienandt on a 55h tower with less than 4 hours running time. I also have a selection of 2 and 3 blade props for sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jon66w View Post
    I have just listed my Stippich on ebay. Here is the listing write up I chose to list on ebay as it protects both the seller and buyer by using Pay Pal.

This is a very rare restored DSR Built originally for Harold Barnes. One of the last ones built by the master, CARL. I restored it and added my racing graphics. I added the side fin that made it much easier for us old guys to flat turn. Ideal for Classic racing or marathons which I was going to do but surcomed to the DSR disease of having my left hip and knee replaced. It is light and fast and has the Di Silva bottom tweaks. I had it up to 70mph GPS without any prop changing or height adjustments. It comes with a full cover and boat cart.I also have available a perfect 44 powerhead by Jerry Wienandt on a 55h tower with less than 4 hours running time. I also have a selection of 2 and 3 blade props for sale.
    S
    Still trying to sell my boat and now have it in auction mode. Here's link to E Bay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/rare-1978-s...t/123331956336

Post Thanks / Like

Serious question, why do you put a $3200 value on this 40 year old boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ProHydroRacer View Post
    Serious question, why do you put a $3200 value on this 40 year old boat?
    The listing does not include the 55H just the boat and cart, I assume priced at $3200 because it is rare ?
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure it is rare, but the question is why is it worth $3200 to someone? Possible answers might be, record setting boat by a famous driver, or an outstanding boat design that influence later boats, or some other reason, what is it? I think I have heard of the name Stippich, but it means nothing to this old time PRO driver. Does anyone have an answer?

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't debate on what the boat is worth.

I will debate on Carl Stippich. He built what is probably the most beautiful race boats ever built. They were like racing living room furniture. Carl was the first to really make the duck bill runabout popular. His first " quack "
    as they were known was built for his son Gary as a present when he returned from Vietnam. It was to my knowledge the first short course floater boat.

That boat built for Gary came into my Grandpa's hands in 1969? Then it came into Jon Walters' hands. Jon raced it pretty well for a number of years and was real fast with it.

The boat that Jon has is a very close version of the first floater. It was built for Harold Barnes specifically for big courses. I've driven it and in the original trim it would not turn in a football field. It was designed for big courses so no it didn't handle narrow courses well. Jon put a side fin on it and it turns pretty well now.

To finish the story, when Jon left racing my Grandpa bought the original quack back. Grandpa modified it quite a bit and I drove the boat with great success for a number of years. When I raced it, I named it " The Queen".
    Why the Queen? She got old and heavy and weighed as much as the Queen Mary. We gave her away in the late 80's to a collector in northern Wisconsin. From then, we don't know.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tim Weber for the well written description of this boat and builder. Were the boat designs prior to this displacement runabouts in the stock division?

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

By this time all of the utility style boats ( open front cockpit ) were gone.

To give an idea of the success team Stippich had I looked up national wins.

Keith Stippich 1960, 1961 CSR champ, 1961 DSR champ
    Gary Stippich 1960 ASR champ, 1963,64 & 65 CSR champ
    Dick Lovelace 1972 DSR champ
    Jim Mcdonough 1980? ASR

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I chatted with both Keith and Gary at Denis Berghauers funeral last month. They seem to being doing fine and had many stories to tell about their "experiences' with Denis. By the way; their dads boats and designs were used by several other racers in Region 7 like Norm Schaub, Jim Muehl, Jim Komorowski, Carl Roloff, Eddie Hrovatin and more.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the writeup Tim. My avatar is this boat at Wakefield in 2004 ?, It really hadn't been set up well and the old Fart driving it (me) didn't start well and couldn't turn. Hence the side fin and the 44 I'm trying to sell . Jon

Thread Information