Lordy, Wayne, that sounds semi-exciting, at least!! I never heard one rev like that. on the occasions I saw this happen, when an engine started running away the throttle-man whacks it closed and the full-butterflies at least limit the rpm. But with the engine still running, somebody generally grabs an oar or some other hard object and shoves it against the side of the flywheel while somebody else thinks to clamp his hands over the carbs. But if the engine was screaming, anybody would be tempted to back off from it like a grenade that was starting to swell.

I still have my little old A Konig, as parts in a box, very mildly ported exhausts with the "lawn-dart" pipes and tiny carbs (25mm bored to 26mm). When running right, which usually wasn't for all that long, I could see about 75 on a Keller speedometer on a heavy Marchetti. If I'd known then what I've learned since, I think I could have done a lot better, but as it was, the only record I set was for being an exceptionally dumb young guy.

dvd, are you getting the messages? What are ya gonna do when a fully-cowled playmotor on nitro starts running away on the boat ramp with a lot of clueless non-racers and kids all around you wondering what the heck . . . ?? It's great that you aspire to do some hands-on outboard hot-rodding, but you'll have more fun, learn more, and make friends with a bunch of liked-minded fellas if you do this in a racing context. If you are anywhere near where the U.S. Title Series runs one of their all-PRO races, go spend a day and see if you don't come away all charged up to be an alky racer.