Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Merc classic 50

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Merc classic 50

I have rebuilt A few outboards in the last 40 years but never done any upgrades on them, just stock. I just picked up A 1988 classic 50 to build for My toy (just A toy, no real racing) and thought some of You may be able to give some tips on simple mods to do while it was apart. Not looking for in depth race mods just simple things that would be easy to do while rebuilding that would not cost A fortune or kill the long term durability of the motor, such as better reeds and possibly cages that would flow better, and carb swap to match them. This is A boat for My grandson and I and hope to keep it in the family and keep Him interested in boats for years to come. right now with the 25 Yamaha 4 stroke it will come out of the hole and run flat with no problem but has A top speed of only 26 mph which is not enough to get the boat on top of the water. I would like to think I can get it into the low 40s but at only 11 1/2 foot long and 5 foot at the transom weight is an issue if I go any bigger on the motor. The boat started life as A 1958 Glastron Fireflite but has been shortened and set up as A little 2 seater.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information