Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swift hydro hull number/year?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Swift hydro hull number/year?

Newbie here. I've been restoring and playing with vintage outboards for some time.....but I've decided to relive the days that I had hair and bought a really nicely restored Swift 'Big Dee' with a numbers matching running '59 Merc 55H1. Can anyone help me out decoding a Swift hull number to figure out age?

The number is UHD11206358114. It's on the transom 6"-8" below the top and pretty legible. I'm 99% sure that it's right.

I've got some (crummy cellphone) pics if that would help.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim
    I say "Pardon Me" a lot. I had a 20H with a toilet bowl, then raced open mod sleds.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twostroke View Post
    Newbie here. I've been restoring and playing with vintage outboards for some time.....but I've decided to relive the days that I had hair and bought a really nicely restored Swift 'Big Dee' with a numbers matching running '59 Merc 55H1. Can anyone help me out decoding a Swift hull number to figure out age?

The number is UHD11206358114. It's on the transom 6"-8" below the top and pretty legible. I'm 99% sure that it's right.

I've got some (crummy cellphone) pics if that would help.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim
    Post some pictures. Sounds like a cool find...congratulations.
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Cellphone pics. I can take some better ones if necessary later today.

Name:  Resized95201809099511581895715.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  54.2 KB
    Name:  Resized952018090995115833958647_1.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  66.3 KB
    I say "Pardon Me" a lot. I had a 20H with a toilet bowl, then raced open mod sleds.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That is a nice restored Swift Big D and looks in great shape for the year. I do not know how to interpret the Swift serial #'s. My guess is a later Swift like 57 or 58 with the long front cowling and all wood deck. More pics would be nice and shots of the sponsons bottoms, rear bottom and chines and transom rear. Is there any dark stained wood areas on the bottom plywood? Joe Swift did great work considering the number of Swift hydros produced in the Mt Dora Fla shop. Back then most small race boats were built with popular Weldwood (or similar) water based glue and it required very close joinery (that's good) for the glue to hold since the glue is not a filler type. Have you looked deep inside to see if it is still holding well especially in the rear stringers, gussets, transom etc. where there is a lot of stress/strain running a D Merc.
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Post Thanks / Like

More pics....Name:  frt1 (1).JPG
Views: 919
Size:  211.7 KB
    Ignore ugly old tow car. One easy payment....
    Name:  chine-airtrap.JPG
Views: 906
Size:  258.5 KB
    Airtraps end about 26"from stern....
    Name:  ofc1.JPG
Views: 929
Size:  296.6 KB

Name:  ofc2.JPG
Views: 879
Size:  286.6 KB
    Fickett tank....
    Name:  stbdsponson.JPG
Views: 917
Size:  197.2 KB

Name:  ptside.JPG
Views: 899
Size:  279.3 KB

Name:  rear1.JPG
Views: 918
Size:  275.4 KB

Name:  rear2.JPG
Views: 872
Size:  272.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Look on page 35 for the new for 1958 Swift Big D

http://www.boatsport.org/magpdf/bsv64.pdf

Your # UHD11206358114

Note in the add the serial number UHD112 was a designation for the Swift Big D introduced in 1958, meaning of UHD112? I think the 58 in your serial # would be a good bet yours is a 1958. Maybe 063 is June 3rd and 114 was the count of all boats made at the shop to that date?

Not known when Swift discontinued this model.

The condition for a 58 is really good. Do you know what restoration was done?

Have you run it?

What is the diameter of the steering wheel cable spool drum, 3.5", 5", other? Not known what was available back in 1958?

With the tie back cable set up the 5" is the preferred diameter.
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that's been done to it is stripped and refinished, to my knowledge. I see no wood replacement or repairs....I've even looked way inside with a Snap-On camera. I'm convinced that it's and nice as it looks. Motor is all 'correct', numbers matching and fresh; both powerhead and lower unit.

I haven't run it yet.....but the gentleman I bought it from had it in the water a few weeks ago. 70 mph by gps.

Steering drum is 3.5".

Thanks!

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Jim
    Sent you a PM in response to your PM.
    Note on the steering with tie back cable set up and 3.5" drum the effort to turn will be reduced but will take more wheel arc to go through a defined turn compared to if that was a 5" drum. This shouldn't be an issue for a lake runner and would be in competition. But as you know these are left turn only boats going fast and can turn right if going real slow.
    Pete

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow.... Looks brand new. Really cool.
    Dean Hobart

Jerry Wienandt
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim, beautiful D Hydro... drop me a note to tridentracing@new.rr.com for some info on the care and feeding of a 55H.

Nice to see this one in running condition.

I have built and raced a lot of Mercury D's... I still have my last Mk55, Merc Challenge series motor, here in my shop. Still one of my all time favorite motors.

Jerry

Thread Information