Charlie Bailey was an extraordinary boat racer. He was fearless, but was either magical, or had some way of making a saving move. The first time I saw Charlie, he was driving a blue green runabout in D runabout at the Baytown Boat Club near Highlands, Texas in 1966. That boat was all over the place. It was jumping all down the front straight, and through the turns. He was in the mix with Clayton Elmer, Freddie Goehl, Raymond Jeffries, P.G. Stepleton, Roland Pruett, Joe Bowdler, and other top drivers in Texas. My Dad Baldy filmed those heats. It wasn't just one...it was like that in both heats. We watched that film many times. I cannot to this day think of one time I ever saw Charlie flip. He didn't always drive like that. That runabout must have been tough to handle, but he didn't flip. and he stayed with the mix in front. Many years later, Charlie had proven his abilities, mostly in the South, that Marshall Grant chose him to drive for him at Lakeland....Marshall's last time there. Charlie was the first to drive the 8 cylinder Konig for Marshall, but they had a problem of finding a good prop, and Dieter had selected dump tubes that were too big. Joe and I saw Dieter take pliers to the brass dump tubes as it lay on a trailer and pinch them down. I will have more stories and photos about Charlie later.