Likes crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default June 1962

Here is the June 1962 edition
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Default Undated Issue

This is the last issue from Southeastern Boating Association that I have to post. I can not find a date on it. Hope you have enjoyed these little pieces of boat racing history.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It was very interesting Dale. Lots of old history. I knew a lot of the drivers in the various issues and I liked reading about all their earlier races. From clues, this last issue was in early 1959. And the issue was published before Mardi Gras. The high point drivers for 1958 were listed and it contains race dates in May, June and July---so probably January or February or maybe March 1959. (When is Mardi Gras?)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    It was very interesting Dale. Lots of old history. I knew a lot of the drivers in the various issues and I liked reading about all their earlier races. From clues, this last issue was in early 1959. And the issue was published before Mardi Gras. The high point drivers for 1958 were listed and it contains race dates in May, June, and July---so probably January or February or maybe March 1959. (When is Mardi Gras?)
    Thanks, Wayne. One of the names that appear in a lot of these newsletters is Ralph Donald. While going through the old negatives the DePue Men's Club has I came across this picture from 1994. Perhaps Ralph will see this and add his comments on it. A few guys commented that the boat is a DeSilva sit down hydro and raced in 350cch.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you putting this up Dale.And Thank You for all the history you take the time to post.Obviously, dad come back from the injury and stuck to B and C.early '60's were when he started getting hurt.And by '66,with 3 kids,his MiL had the come to jesus talk with him.And grandma,loved her some boat racing!he did sneak into a couple of OpC boats,helping with set up and Mr.Bateman tried to get him run a OPC boat,but he said he stopped and did.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dale,
    I have really enjoyed your posting of all the SEBA monthly mailings you ran across in recent times. Thanks so much.
    My dad was listed in the c hydro list of the top four of this issue. Finished second. Dub Parker won the race. I also raced in SEBA with my dad. I raced SEBA most of 1957. I first raced with SEBA starting
    in '54 until I ended up getting a Konig ride from Walt Blankenstein. That took me more often to APBA and NOA racing.
    I sure recognize most all the names of the SEBA guys during those years.
    My dad died in a boat racing accident at Daytona International Speedway, in Lake Lloyd in June of '59. The July issue of The Propeller mentioned his passing.
    Due to my mother, that ended my boat racing for the most part, from his accident.

I moved on to Motorcycle Road racing in the sixties and didn't retire completely until 2009.
    Regards to all: George

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racingfan1 View Post
    Thanks, Wayne. One of the names that appear in a lot of these newsletters is Ralph Donald. While going through the old negatives the DePue Men's Club has I came across this picture from 1994. Perhaps Ralph will see this and add his comments on it. A few guys commented that the boat is a DeSilva sit down hydro and raced in 350cch.
    That is my boat. When the Pro Category decided to allow only capsule hydros over a transition period, I knew that David Westbrook was building capsules and had him build me one. When it was finished I took it to Desilva and they built the hydro around it. I then bought a 500 engine from Scot Smith. When the boat was finished, David and I rigged it in my basement. I don't remember when we first ran it, but I do remember that using foot throttle and stack puller was very confusing. So David made a hand throttle attached to the steering wheel and that worked fine. I ran the boat three or four years, never did feel comfortable in it. I never could feel what the boat was going to do. I did run it in the UIM WC in Lakeland in 1993, and DePue a couple of years. It became too much trouble with the other classes that Steve and I were running at the time. later, I gave it to Bill Kurps, but I don't know what he did with it.
    Likes racingfan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Ralph for filling in the blanks on this boat. Hopefully, Bill can continue the story.

Thread Information