Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: NOA in the early 1970's?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NOA in the early 1970's?

Does anyone remember the AOF Sport Boats back in the early 1970's? They raced GW Invaders, Allison's, Deltas, Sidewinders, Powercats, Glasstrons and Tunnel Boats. Drivers were Dave West, Don McAfee, Greg Ruth, Bobby Sanders, George Osborne, Gary Tuttle, Ed Caudill, Ricky Daniel, Larry Morgan, Larry Mayo, Gary Grammar, Jack Lockaby, Dudley Malone, Danny McGuire and many more. Most races were held at Lake Overholser in Bethany, OK or Oklahoma City. Any body????

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember Don McAfee, Ed Caudle, Dudley Malone (a friend), and Mike Tomlinson. I figure Tommy Posey would be in that group along with a couple of others whose name is drawing a blank right now. I didn't know them from AOF, but from NOA and the Houston Gulf Coast Marathon Association.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought about some of the other guys I knew. Bill Grammer, Johnny Dickerson, Bud Babbit, Jim Slack Jr, and Don Neeld. This is not the total list, but those I remember off the top of my head. There is one of Tommy Posey's friend whos face I can see but cannot recall the name right now. I did not know most of these guys personally. My Dad and I met Tommy's Dad Ben Posey at a race in North Texas when we first began Pro racing in 1966. Ben was either inspector or referee. He and my Dad hit it off instantly and became friends. After our first year we didn't see much of him anymore, but he remained an inspiration for a newly formed team. I met and became friends with Dudley Malone about the same time we met Ben and his son Tommy. Most of the guys we race with in Texas did not go north to the Dallas/ Fort Worth area, but we did. After a couple of years we did not see Dudley anymore because he was racing modified and we didn't go to the DFW area anymore.

Most of the guys I mentioned I didn't really know, but I got to know who they were from my coverage of races for Motorsport Magazine. Motorsport was an excellent tabloid type magazine that covered all types of motorsports from Nascar, Arca, SCCA, American Motorcyle Association, USAC, NHRA,AHRA, and APBA. My boat racing buddy Joe Rome and I went to many boat races covering stories for Motorsort in 1972 and 73. I took pictures and later on wrote stories. These guys I remember are the ones that were always at the top when it came to winning.

In addition, when my Dad Badly Baldwin became APBA Chairman of Region 15 he moved the annual meeting from Southeast Texas to Austin Texas to be a ore central location for the Gulf Coast racers and those up in the Dallas and northern regions. That's where I met many of the guys like Ed Caudill and Louis Collins who were elected to leadership position.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in the southeast, Donald Bateman raced opc .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to get a hold of Ed Caudill. I do not have any information on him. Do you have anything? You can give me a call at 972-217-1222 anytime.

Thread Information