Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late 1960's and Early 1970's Outboard Commission minutes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Late 1960's and Early 1970's Outboard Commission minutes

These appear to be the original typed minutes of the Outboard commission meeting from the APBA Annual meeting which was held in Chicago. The writing on the bottom of the 2nd page is in Charlotte Queens' handwriting.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1970 Outboard Commission meeting minutes

Here are the minutes..

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1972 Outboard Commission meeting

Here are the minutes from the 1972 meeting

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1973 Commission minutes

Here are the 1973 meeting minutes
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

These minutes of the commission meetings are fascinating to read Dale. I didn't see where the 1972 meeting was held, and was surprised that they could not get a quorum. I will read the Propeller write up by the PRO Chairman in Propeller to find out. The only thing I could think of was that it may have been on the west coast and there was some very bad weather that caused many of the commissioners in the East and Midwest not being able to get there although the Queens, Pop Augustine, Bill Fales and others were able to make it. I didn't realize that the E class was already being brought up. Also, I wonder what would have happened regarding changing class displacement from CI to CC's if a quorum would have been present. It's unclear that class designations were part of that plan. It wasn't until a couple of years or so later that CC's became the primary measure but it came at the same time that class designations were changed i.e Class A became 250cc, B 350cc etc. I also noted the talk about bringing in NOA and AOF drivers. Clyde did not help NOA transform to APBA and held on for another year, plus. The last Roostertail I received was from 1974 and was just some OPC stuff and maybe waterskiing. Only a few thin pages.

I wrote this too soon after you posted the first set, but didn't submit it until the above posts, so I was going to delete it, but I forgot where Bill Kurps told me where to go to delete it. So I'll just leave it with some of the commentary regarding proposed class changes and the time when NOA went down and Drivers moved to APBA. Incidentally, look how well AOF survived even though it could have been sucked up into APBA just as it was getting started.

Likes racingfan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1974 Outboard Comossiion meets

Here are the minutes from the DePue meeting and APBA National commission meetings.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1974 meeting

Miutes continued

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    These minutes of the commission meetings are fascinating to read Dale. I didn't see where the 1972 meeting was held, and was surprised that they could not get a quorum. I will read the Propeller write up by the PRO Chairman in Propeller to find out. The only thing I could think of was that it may have been on the west coast and there was some very bad weather that caused many of the commissioners in the East and Midwest not being able to get there although the Queens, Pop Augustine, Bill Fales and others were able to make it. I didn't realize that the E class was already being brought up. Also, I wonder what would have happened regarding changing class displacement from CI to CC's if a quorum would have been present. It's unclear that class designations were part of that plan. It wasn't until a couple of years or so later that CC's became the primary measure but it came at the same time that class designations were changed i.e Class A became 250cc, B 350cc etc. I also noted the talk about bringing in NOA and AOF drivers. Clyde did not help NOA transform to APBA and held on for another year, plus. The last Roostertail I received was from 1974 and was just some OPC stuff and maybe waterskiing. Only a few thin pages.

I wrote this too soon after you posted the first set, but didn't submit it until the above posts, so I was going to delete it, but I forgot where Bill Kurps told me where to go to delete it. So I'll just leave it with some of the commentary regarding proposed class changes and the time when NOA went down and Drivers moved to APBA. Incidentally, look how well AOF survived even though it could have been sucked up into APBA just as it was getting started.
    Wayne , I originally wasn't going to post these for that reason , that you can find them in Propeller , but i thought it was neat to have the original typed minutes , especially for those who don't have the Propellers. It looks like I have them through 1976. Sorry about the lag time between posts but it takes a while to to scan , resize and then try and get the pages in order.

Post Thanks / Like

It was my mistake on timing Dale, not lag time. It's my mistake because I know you well enough by now that I know there will be followups very close on. I just wasn't thinking. I been feeling worse than a maggot in a bucket of honey for almost two weeks and I felt so good this morning, that I couldn't hold back and just jumped right in.

I'm very glad you're posting these Dale. I called up Joe a little bit ago and said "Dale is posting stuff right now that almost no Pro drivers have ever seen." Joe asked, "What's that?" I told him about minutes of the commission meetings and he said "Oh, yeah..yeah..yeah!".

I found that the 1972 meeting was in North Hollywood, and there was never a quorum gathered. Don't know if it was weather related, or too rich for some commissioners to attend, but hopefully Ralph Donald will fill us in. The rest of the commissioners were polled to pass or reject any changes to the rules. You keep on posting what you have because it is some of the behinds the scenes information almost nobody has.

Likes racingfan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As I read over minutes of the 1974 commissioners meeting held at DePue, I noticed a "Mr. Baldwin" made a comment about the probationary E class and I thought that I was not even going to be on the Racing Commission until the New Orleans meeting in November, and I did not even remember attending that meeting. Then it dawned on me. I had just started dating Anne Finkl and was not about to use our limited time together to go to some meeting. That was my Dad Baldy making those comments.

Here are some of the speakers at the annual meeting. I sized this as large as I think I can get away with , but don't know how big they will be for identification.

Thread Information