Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Merc 59ci Aftermarket Reeds vs Factory Reeds

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Merc 59ci Aftermarket Reeds vs Factory Reeds

Hi, I am switching out my 40hp carbs for 60's and was going to take out the reed stops. I figured while I was at it this would probably be a good time to switch out the reeds if I already have it all taken apart. Is there any real advantage to aftermarket reeds vs the factory ones? everything I've been able to find on the internet is kinda contradictory. Some people say it idles better and is more responsive and some people say the engine ran better with the stainless factory reeds. For reference I'm not using the motor to race, it's a hunting/ take the dog from ride boat. As always thanks for the insight - Cooper

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The reed manufacturers will likely claim there is a benefit but i suspicion their r and d budget is not quite what outboard manufacturers have. Thus in my mind it would be tough for reeds to give an instant gain in hp.

My small brain two pennies worth

Post Thanks / Like

I assume by after market you mean fiber reeds? For your service engine the SS will do very well. Just make sure no pits or other bad spots on them. I am not familiar with the reed set up in your engine but consider leaving the stops in place to prevent reeds flagging and lifting too high and getting in contact with rotating parts, not good if SS reeds leave their space and cause damage. Fiber reeds can safely pass thru the engine and cause not damage. There are some reported anecdotal gains with fiber reeds. If you go fiber I have heard good reports with Chris Carson Marine https://chriscarsonmarine.com/ There are other good reed suppliers.
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I just ordered a new set of Stainless stock reeds. For $12 it seemed like cheap insurance if I was going to be taking the air intake apart anyway.

Thread Information